worried about maintenance history 2012 SRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am strongly considering purchasing a certified 2012 Cadillac SRX with 34,500 miles, but after looking at the car fax, there is a history early on of 3 instances of "steering/suspension checked," one instance of "drivability/performance checked," one instance of "engine/powertrain computer/module checked," and "engine cleaned" at 17,000 miles. Also, the oil change history is 7493, 13,248, 21,886, 30,444 and 34,559. No mention is made of any actual repairs and the vehicle is being offered as Cadillac certified which extends the basic comprehensive warranty out to 6 years or 70,000. All of the above unusual items were listed as occurring before 17,500 and nothing unusual since. Is this a maintenance history that should concern me or should it being certified pretty much negate my concerns? Also, the vehicle has been on sale since May 11 of this year and it concerns me that a) no one has bought it during that time, and b) I'm concerned about sun and weather damage due to being outside so long. Should I be concerned on either score? All responses will be greatly appreciated. I wonder whether I'm being prudent or simply nitpicky to the extreme and other people's input will definitely help me in my decision. Thanks in advance to all.

Did you take it out on a test drive? If so, did you notice any suspension/driveability issues?

Do the tires look worn evenly, or slightly uneven (look VERY close)?

Sun damage? You mean like every other car without a garage? Sounds like you're too paranoid about buying used you might as well buy new or you may lose sleep over this.

Sounds like whoever owned it the first time might have been OCD. Get it professionally inspected before purchasing.

My parents bought a 2011 off lease last year with about the same miles on it. It had a heck of a lot less oil changes than the one you're looking at.
frown.gif

If it's under warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. Agreed the PO might have been OCD.

But if he was OCD, he's change the oil more frequently, right??
Waiting to 7493 doesn't sound OCD to me.....

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sun damage? You mean like every other car without a garage? Sounds like you're too paranoid about buying used you might as well buy new or you may lose sleep over this.

Dealers don't store new cars in doors either. If you order a new one from the factory and not buy a new one on the dealer's then chances are it'll have spent less time in the sun. Test drive it, it has a warranty, is it a good price?

Whimsey

I wouldn't buy the SRX. Resale value is terrible & you'll have a black hole in your wallet with the amount of repairs you'll have to pay for. The warranty doesn't cover everything.

Isn't a car with poor resale value the one to buy used? (As is the case with most luxury cars since many are leased and there are a ton of 3 year old models that hit the lots when the lease is up)

And the CPO warranty is bumper to bumper.

From the Cadillac website:

The Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned Warranty extends the New Vehicle Bumper-to-Bumper Coverage up to 6 Years or 70,000 miles.1 Each Certified Pre-Owned Cadillac vehicle comes with the remainder of the unexpired portion of the original 4-year/50,000-mile new vehicle “Bumper-to-Bumper” Limited Warranty, Powertrain, Emissions, and Corrosion Protection Warranties. The Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty coverage is effective upon the expiration of the New Vehicle “Bumper-to-Bumper” Limited Warranty and adds an additional 2 years or 20,000 miles of coverage.

The Cadillac Certified Pre-owned Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty provides extensive coverage for defects in materials or workmanship of covered components for the full term of the warranty. The coverage includes parts and labor but excludes maintenance and wear and tear items. There is no deductible for covered repairs. Cadillac will provide for repairs to the vehicle during the warranty period in accordance with the following terms, conditions, and limitations.

When in doubt don't..,, your radar is kicking in and you are ignoring your safety warning. GM = trouble.

Originally Posted By: CT8
GM = trouble.

That's an ignorant comment that makes no sense. I do agree that if you aren't entirely comfortable, move on. I will say though that every used car I have ever looked at has had something I was concerned about. If you're that OCD, new might be the way to go. I'm kind of OCD also...so I buy new or almost ready for the junkyard vehicles that I don't care about.

if there is any fact about SRX's, their residual value drops catastrophically. I would not catch that falling knife.

Could be oil changes in addition to the ones listed that CarFax did not pick up. In that few miles I would not worry about infrequent oil changes, no harm done.

Timing chains still have noise, breaking issues from
2010, steering noises, wheel bearing issues, fuel injection issues that warranties sometimes don't cover because they says its ethanol related. Just to name a few problems with the SRX

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I would rather have a BMW for the same money.

Well since OP didn't mention what the asking price on the SRX is, we don't know what kind of BMW we can buy with the OP's money.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How is Carfax getting the service info? I know they get the stuff from DMV and insurance companies after an accident, but all the service stuff?

Most new-car dealers have service dept. computer systems that report to Carfax. The Carfax report on the CPO Accord in my sig showed dealer service during the initial lease period.

Thanks so much for all the responses. Bought the car Monday and it took all day to do it. Very happy with it so far. I checked the tires and no unusual wear. However, there was lots of wear and I probably won't get more than 10k before replacement. No issues so far. Will keep my fingers crossed. Will say that I am really glad this is over. I still can't get over how many "certified" cars are out there that have all sorts of issues both mechanical and cosmetic. This one was really the very first one that didn't have any issues of any kind other than a fair amount of uniform wear on the tires. Because they were high quality Michelins, I actually preferred that to brand new cheap tires because I found more than a few late model SUV's with brand new but cheap tires, which ended up being loud and rough on the road. I prefer older, worn Michelins with a quiet comfortable ride to that so I don't end up paying the cost for brand new tires that I don't like. Thanks again for all the help. Really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back