pressure washer shots down when moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just got a new powerstroke brand PW. i noticed it shots down when you tilt it to move it while engine is on. first couple of times i thought it was low gas level, but the last time it was full and could not be restarted. there was increased resistance when cranking. i removed the spark plug expecting to see gas or oil, but there was nothing that came out of the spark plug hole. the engine started fine afterwards.

the owner's manual vaguely mentions to turn off engine before moving and there is a blurb about how uneven level can create problems with oil lubrication.

anybody knows what the deal is with moving a PW while engine on?

thanks!

Probably some oil level shut off switch, possibly an anti tip switch....

The nannys have installed things so we can't hurt yourself... or wreck the machine and blame/sue them

Simple test-with the engine running pick it up level and move it. If it still shuts down then there's an issue somewhere. If it still continues to run then there is a kill switch somewhere that detects when the unit is tipped beyond a certain point-my guess is a low oil level switch that is causing it. Then restart the unit and very slowly tip it as if you're going to move it until it starts to shut down. You'll then know the exact point at which the kill switch activates.

Unless you really meant that it "shots" down when moved instead of what I assume is "shuts" down when moved. Then I have no earthly idea what you're talking about.

LOL, shuts down for sure.
i'll read the manual again (3rd time) to see if they mention oil level sensor.

speaking about oil level. after filling it up with the supplied bottle of oil (per the instruction). the oil is at the level of dipstick hole. is it normal? the dipstick is sort of useless as has no oil level marks on it.

BTW, one should use 10W30 oil in it. I'm tempted to use 15W40 HDEO as i have plenty of it. I also have some 5W40 and straight 40. any downside of using those xW40 oils in it?

Disconnect the wire that goes to the oil shutoff switch and than try again. On go karts, you have to remove the wire or the engine will shutoff on your first turn - same principle.

Distick - assuming it is one of those Honda or Honda clone engines with the useless dipstick at a 45 degree angle, just fill it to the top of the hole. They are designed so that you can't over fill.

Yes, a HDEO will be fine in that pressure washer. 15W-40 or 5W-40, your choice - this time of year it won't care either way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Honda clone engines with the useless dipstick at a 45 degree angle, just fill it to the top of the hole. They are designed so that you can't over fill.

exactly that, thanks.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Disconnect the wire that goes to the oil shutoff switch and than try again. On go karts, you have to remove the wire or the engine will shutoff on your first turn - same principle.

now i see that yellow wire that goes into the crankcase. weird the owners manual never mentions that feature even though it's mentioned in the predator engine description.

but, why would that cause flooded engine?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
there was increased resistance when cranking.

Release the pressure on the hose at the spray gun, every two pulls. That pump is trying to build pressure, even when you're simply pulling on the starting cord.

On mine, any more than two pulls without releasing that pressure, and starting becomes much more difficult.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
there was increased resistance when cranking.

Release the pressure on the hose at the spray gun, every two pulls. That pump is trying to build pressure, even when you're simply pulling on the starting cord.

On mine, any more than two pulls without releasing that pressure, and starting becomes much more difficult.

that must be it. thanks for the explanation. i'm new to gas pressure washers and learning a lot here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back