Films that reflect America's essence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some great historical reference there, I particularly like this part as I feel it is quite relevant to the context of our discussion:

Quote:
The name America first appeared on a map in 1507 by the German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller, referring to the area now called Brazil]. Since the 16c, a name of the western hemisphere, often in the plural Americas and more or less synonymous with the New World.

Which would seem to answer my question regarding the genesis of the name and work to explain the overlap between the continental and country reference.

It would appear that the term in regards to area referenced simply evolved and eventually morphed into being ascribed to your country (and the landmass it represented at the time, as per your Washington reference). However the continental reference also remained (Americas, North and South) which has continued to provide some confusion.

Thanks for continuing this
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Thanks for continuing this
smile.gif

What can I say? I like to argue...er...discuss with vigor!
grin.gif

That makes two of us
cheers3.gif

Very productive in this case IMHO
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Gran Torino.

Dirty Harry with a real social conscience. Yes, good suggestion!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Very productive in this case IMHO
thumbsup2.gif

And yet you managed to bore us all to near death.

Luckily entertaining you isn't my responsibility
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Yep.

I remember there was a guy selling "canada kits" that was all the rage for travelling Americans.
You get a hat with a Canadian flag,and a shirt with a Canadian flag. The basic premise is that in order to insure the safety of the American traveller they had to pretend to be Canadian.

American pride only exists in America. The rest of the world isn't let's say fond of America and her politics.
Once you wade thru the mire and see past this nonsense that terrorists are to fear and you realize that without terrorists who would America fight.
It's like the war on drugs. All that money fighting drugs yet there's more now than ever.
Without drugs the agency and all those dollars wouldn't be spent. Kinda like the war on terror.
They need each other to exist. It's a fact the state has funded these now terrorist organizations like al quaeda. Weren't they terrorists then too.
Without an enemy there's nothing to fear. Without fear people think different
With different thinking comes change.

The worst most blatantly anti USA stuff here is being posted by you. I've seen it over and over.

I think I'd pass on the Canada kit and wear a USA #1 shirt right in your face. The wife and i wore USA t shirts all over europe. I drove my vette all over Canada with a Chevrolet USA-1 plate on it. My wife said I should take it off. Not me.

Last edited:
Years ago, I wore a Maple Leaf thong from my Canada kit when I was on the beaches of the French Riviera and I made it a point to leave my cheeks as they naturally are...hairy. Chicks dug it. I told them that I was from "North America" but they said that only an American would wear that thong...so apparently they didn't quibble with or need that distinction because being labelled an "American" was the distinction they understood.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
The essence of America is Donald Trump.

thanks for a morning laugh.
could he be your next president ? (please,no political b.s. that will get the thread locked. just joking around.)

It is nice to see him saying things how they are. No sugar coating or worrying about people getting "offended."

Nowadays, having a disagreement is being replaced by the word offend.. I dont care what side of the spectrum one is on. Agree to disagree, dont call each other names, dont hate etc.

Expecting everyone to agree with you is communism.

yeti, think about it.

He is rich but he is broke -- is rich only with other peoples' money.
He is an elite but is a racist pleb.
He thinks he is the best thing in the universe but wears a hairpiece and a fake tan.
He starts trouble all the time but blames the others for it; escalates to the highest degree of tension and uses his (other peoples') wealth to suppress dissent.

A true hustler and a bully.

yeti, think about it.

He thinks he is the best thing in the universe but wears a hairpiece and a fake tan.
He starts trouble all the time but blames the others for it; escalates to the highest degree of tension and uses his (other peoples') wealth to suppress dissent.

Barack Obama ? the flimflam man, three card Monte anyone ? now you see it now you don't..round and round we go...pick a card it could be your lucky day....

@fastGame My post was about Donald Trump the businessman and showbiz star. Not the "politician" which is another hustle to make a little more money.

yeti, think about it.

you must have missed the last 3 words of my post -- "just joking around".
he is a character. have a good night.

Vanishing Point, 1971, for the nihilist in America

...but almost any Buster Keaton movie for his optimistic view of survival...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Vanishing Point, 1971, for the nihilist in America

...but almost any Buster Keaton movie for his optimistic view of survival...

^^I like Buster Keaton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back