Wrapping Oil Filters in an Extra Layer of Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't wrapping up oil filters like microgreen is doing now with their cartridge oil filters just stop flow?
308169m.jpg

If I got one of these, I'd be tempted to cut a hole or two in the green outer covering just to get them to flow better. The white media underneath is supposed to be synthetic media anyway!
Wow, never seen anything like this. Are they nuts?

Also, their web site seems to be broken as far as the filter finder goes for the cartridge filters. Could someone else try it? I go through the series of drop-down menus to find the filter for a 2011 Lexus IS250 and do not get a "search" button at the bottom. I have tried it on both Chrome and IE. I emailed MG a few days ago and have received no response. They may make great filters, but their web site administration needs work. I was unable to get the Earth Day discount on their site and when I emailed them they advised me to go ahead and buy on Amazon (same price, and included the discount) because they were having issues on their own site.

The filters I bought were for my 2012 Mazda 3, btw.

I know that one area of incompetence does not necessarily indicate another, but come on!

Don't really see a need for a "per-filtering layer" of foam on an oil filter. On an air filter yes, it does work to help keep the main element from packing and clogging up too fast.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Don't really see a need for a "per-filtering layer" of foam on an oil filter. On an air filter yes, it does work to help keep the main element from packing and clogging up too fast.

The outer layer must be more open (porous) to allow flow. Then the oil hits the white media inside, which might be the usual Royal Purple style white stuff for all we know.
Being so porous, I can't see how the outer green layer will catch smaller particles.
Just seems like they lost their minds. These cartridges seem like all Marketing Bark, no bite! Need proof.

What you say about how an air filter can benefit, I'm trying to see the benefit of gradually lowering the pore sizes as you get deeper. Guess we need actual test results, which Microgreen won't provide. The covering-concept does seem to be a departure from their old approach, no parallel flow.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Also, their web site seems to be broken as far as the filter finder goes for the cartridge filters. Could someone else try it? I go through the series of drop-down menus to find the filter for a 2011 Lexus IS250 and do not get a "search" button at the bottom.

I had thought the Search button refuses to appear when you select a make/model/engine for which no MG filter exists for it. Try it. Like put in an 07 chevy v8 pickup truck. Search button appears like normal for that one. The IS250 uses the new Element Style cartridge oil filters, and MicroG has not put those into the search engine yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
That green material is so porous that I doubt it has a noticeable impact on flow. The actual filter media is much more restrictive.

Must be that. And so porous, what real filtering will be done that the internal media can't do anyway?

If you can't sell something to people that they don't need they you might have to work harder to make a living.

With oil and air filters you should consider leaving well enough alone.

STP oil filters in the early 1970s had a wrap on the outside of the element.

Originally Posted By: CT8
STP oil filters in the early 1970s had a wrap on the outside of the element.

I recall those and remember Sears (WIX) had what they called a "dual" oil filter.

I don't like it.

If it's porous enough to flow well as a single layer it's going to catch little.

It's a friction interface between the two dissimilar media, and will certainly chafe against the media, eitehr releasing foam particles, or wearing the element (or dislodging stuff).

I hadn't thought of the chaffing issue. Very possible here. More you think about it, this seems like a bad idea.

MicroG should reveal what testing they are or will do.

Great idea to increase filter life and holding capacity.

Each layer has its micron capability.

All I want to know is the media type and its capability.

Toyota's two stage filter(wrapped pleats ... "crystal tape")

1351371d1391535545-genuine-toyota-oil-filter-japanese-vs-thailand-made-15601_original.jpg

Amsoil found out the hard way that certain media can over-filter, load up, and clog. Makes you wonder if all they needed was an additional layer???

A Amsoil test had Honda and Toyota OEM filters at 66.5% and 51% (@20 microns) respectively and yet they make ALL the vehicles that CR predicts will run 200k miles or more.

I love an efficient filter, and use ones that are 99% @20 microns. But it does make me wonder if that efficiency is really necessary. Many synthetic media filters are already double layer media anyway.

Greasymechtech, I had no idea toyota was doing this:
oilfilter.jpg

That one I can see working. There is a low resistance, low filtering path, and yet some of the oil will go through the serpentine path for extra filtering in a parallel path way. Liking it. ... I still don't know if i like the new MicroG cartridge filter idea though, just blocks the whole thing.

Toyota oil filters, besides jamming what appears to be mashed sweet potatoes in there, also has another design that looks like it has a white element and the "accordion" element in one filter, maybe a high flow and low flow path.
mMvo6Ym.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back