Strange noise after an oil change (5W-40 to 5W-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

8 months ago I have changed the oil of my Peugeot car (in signature) from Total Quartz 9000 5W-40 (ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.3) to Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 (ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5) and everything was fine during the oil change. I verified the oil level, started the engine after the change, let it run until operating temperature, stopped the engine. After several hours I verified the level and it was fine.

On next morning I started the engine and noticed that it sounded like one of the pistons did not have an ignition and there were some vibrations and strange noises I did not hear before. I recorded the audio from that morning on my phone: https://soundcloud.com/user641485394/engine-start-mp3cutnet

After this audio has been made I never had any problem with the engine during 8 months, the engine is running smoothly, no vibrations, fuel consumption is fine. Any idea what it was?

The car has a Toyota 1KR-FE engine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KR_engine#1KR-FE) which is spec'ed for 5W-30 synthetic oil with ACEA A3/B4 specification. When I bought the car it had 98'000 of km on it and I am pretty sure the OD always used the same oil in it: Total Quartz 9000 5W-40. I did some extensive research and it looks like Toyota recommends 5W-30 so that was the reason I decided to switch.

It was my second oil change since I bought the car and the first when using 5W-30 grade oil. The car run 2000 km on the 5W-40 oil before the change.

Any ideas would be appreciated since I really had no idea what happened and at the time the engine was making these noises I had a fear I did a bad choice with my oil, since I never used Valvoline before.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the noise was and I will agree it sounds like [censored]. However, after 8 trouble free months, I am not sure why you are now concerned.

SilverSnake,

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I have no idea what the noise was and I will agree it sounds like [censored]. However, after 8 trouble free months, I am not sure why you are now concerned.

Curiosity
smile.gif
Soon I will be doing another oil change, so I am wondering if I should continue with Valvoline or use another brand.

Timing chain noise due to loose chain tensioner, because of thinner oil? Sure Sounds bad.

My guess would be that it is related to ocv solenoid of vvt-i system. After I changed the oil it either clogged or got cleared (the ocv is actuated by oil and it has an oil filter)

Otherwise I cannot find any explanation why the engine has been fine for 8 months and 4000 km since that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back