Spark Plugs - 118,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all,

Finally got around to changing the plugs, air filter, and cabin air filter in the Tundra this morning. The manual says that the plugs should be changed at 100,000 miles...but life got in the way of maintenance.
frown.gif

Plugs were the original plugs - Denso Iridium SK20HR11. I replaced them with the same.

I was pretty happy with what I saw. I've selected a couple of the worst looking plugs to take photos:

plug1.jpg

plug2.jpg

plug3.jpg

I've seen plugs look much, much worse after far less mileage.

thanks,
ben

I would think those plugs are still usable.

I changed plugs on a '12 civic lx and after 180k milse, the new plugs and old plugs looked the same...

Originally Posted By: Run
They look like they could have been left in service longer.

Totally agree! I was originally fretting the wait until 118k versus the 100k noted in the manual, but after I got the first one out...
smile.gif

thanks,
ben

I have an eleven year old Camry and the recommended plug change is coming up next spring. How hard were the plugs to get out? I have read that Denso plugs have a tin coating on the threads that is meant to facilitate plug removal.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I have an eleven year old Camry and the recommended plug change is coming up next spring. How hard were the plugs to get out? I have read that Denso plugs have a tin coating on the threads that is meant to facilitate plug removal.

If it's a 4-cylinder, it's easy. If you have a V6, it's impossible.

They are fine. I change them at 120-140k on my V-6 2grfe toyotas and 100k on the 2azfe 4 cyl Rav4.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
How hard were the plugs to get out? I have read that Denso plugs have a in coating on the threads that is meant to facilitate plug removal.

They came out nice-n-easy. Had a couple of plugs with stuff in the way that needed to be moved, but no big issues...

thanks,
ben

I had an 04 Camry with the 2.4L. The plugs were a breeze to come out, just take your time with the coils there attached to. I replaced with NGK Iridium IXs. Car started easier and got better gas mileage immediately. I wrapped the car up last November swerving from multiple deer on a back road. Make sure to run the Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner in it also as directions by bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back