Canoe motor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a canoe this weekend, an Old Town 16' Katahdin. Do like, but I am tempted to keep an eye out for a simple electric motor that I could use with it. You know, for lazy days on the lake where I might not want to paddle for hours on end. Where would I begin? I saw a couple of trolling motors at the fleamarket today, 28lb thrust was one; and they all seemed to use simple spring clamps to connect. Obviously a deep discharge battery is required; I could use a group 24 for my camper. But that seems like a fair chunk of weight to lug around... and I'm not sure about a wet cell in a canoe.

I'm just fooling around here, looking to spend cheap money for something I would use a few times per year. If I could go 1-2hp 4stroke I would do that. I know I have to register, and do milfoil examinations.

Comments?

Question, do you know what the flotation ability of a fiberglass canoe is?

Answer, one finger. It only takes the effort of one finger pushing downward to sink a fiberglass canoe once it is filled with water. When filled with water it will float just under the surface of the water, with just about one inch of the peak of the front and the peak of the back sticking out of the water.

Why is this important? Because if you add any weight to a fiberglass canoe and you do not add flotation enough to offset that weight, and you do flip or swamp the canoe, it will go to the bottom of the lake / river.

So if you add a trolling motor and a battery and do not add enough flotation to float that additional weight your canoe will end up at the bottom of what ever waterway you use it in if you flip or swamp it.

Also, note that it takes about one month of hot weather to heat a lake to warm enough temperature so that it is safe (not too cold) to fall into. People die because of falling into a lake on some of the first warm days of the year and the water is too cold. Also, if you are new to canoes be sure to always wear you lifepreserver.

It would be a good idea to go to your local boyscout headquarters and buy the canoe merit badge book. Learn the different strokes including the J stroke and the sweep. If done correctly you can use the J stroke to paddle from one side of the canoe all the time while still having the canoe go straight.

And remember if there are two or more people in a canoe that the person in the back steers by using the J stroke and the sweep as required.

Last edited:
I will look up that J stroke. I had a devil of a time paddling in a straight line yesterday--I swear the front person has more steering input than rear. That or I suck. Probably the latter. Today the wife will be with me; she is a girl scout and will have no problems telling me what to do, lol.

I did prefer the kayak paddle over the regular paddle. Easier to switch sides, even if less than ideal.

I don't care much for swimming, so PFD is something I always wear. Been swimming in the lake already this year, not worried about that.

Sitting in the back with a regular paddle is the proper way to steer a canoe. Get two all wooden canoe paddle (one for each person), not the kayak or aluminum type.

And you should not ever have to switch sides when you paddle. If you have to switch sides it is because you are not using the J stroke.

I am curious as to why you are looking at electric trolling motors.

A gas motor under 10 HP ... 3, 5, 6 HP examples ... Are lighter than a electric transom-mount plus battery and sip gas (the fuel tank will be part of the motor assembly).

You will have far more options as to prop pitch and a canoe will move at a remarkable speed.. Depends on use, of course, but I know people who use one tank per season.

Also, if you go to any large lakes and the lake is choppy, stay near the shore or within inlets where there is less waves, and you would not have to swim far to get to shore if you do flip or swamp your canoe.

If the water gets too choppy everyone in the canoe should kneel down or sit down, on the bottom of the canoe to add stability (though you will probably end up with wet pants). If you ever feel unsafe in a canoe (too unstable) you can kneel down or sit down on the bottom of the canoe to lower your canter of gravity.

If you are the only person in the canoe and you have to go out on a choppy lake you can add big stones to the front bottom of the canoe so the front is more stable, (though again you do get into that added extra flotation problem) so you can more easily paddle and steer from the back.

I once paddled a canoe on a one week 179 mile canoe trip from Tionesta Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Each day we had to make it to our predetermined stop for setting up our tent, regardless of the weather, and one day we did have one powerful thunderstorm with the winds blowing against our way of travel.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I am curious as to why you are looking at electric trolling motors.

A gas motor under 10 HP ... 3, 5, 6 HP examples ... Are lighter than a electric transom-mount plus battery and sip gas (the fuel tank will be part of the motor assembly).

You will have far more options as to prop pitch and a canoe will move at a remarkable speed.. Depends on use, of course, but I know people who use one tank per season.

His canoe is only 16 feet long, so if he does go with a gas motor he would be limited to a very small motor.

I don't know the specs of your canoe, but I know most are pretty tippy, and adding a motor might increase that risk.

Also check local boating laws. I know in CT anything with a motor (even a tiny aluminum boat with a trolling motor) now requires registration and a boating license to operate. It used to be anything under 5hp was okay, but it was changed recently for some idiotic reason.

NH requires registration, even if electric.

Small gas motor, very small, as it is not a flat back canoe. Four strike would be ideal IMO, no need for mixed gas.

But as I look at the laws I might be out of luck, as I didn't get a bill of sale.

Did better today, tried to do more of a J, use both arms to pull.

Just looking for info. In case I find a good deal. Some nice lakes around here to explore with the kids, but we are not serious outdoors people.

If you purchased the canoe from an individual instead of a store, you can go to a notary and pay the sales tax to the state, and then you would be able to register it for a boat license. If you purchased it from a store you should get a receipt from the store. Ask the manager, or go to a notary and pay the sales tax again. Once you can prove you paid the sales tax you can get the boat license.

Usually if there are two people paddling they paddle on different sides of the canoe. Sometimes if one of those two get tired of paddling on one side of the boat they can ask to switch sides (then they paddle on the other side and the other person usually also switches sides).

Sometimes the person steering wants the canoe to turn fast (especially if you are steering around rocks in a fast stream or river) they can tell the person in the front to do a sweep stroke or to switch sides and or do a sweep stroke on the other side.

I used a curved shaft 2 stroke weedeater motor with modified end to hold a propeller that was a model airplane propeller. Kind of like a go devil with less (much less) power.

However it did move the boat. Ran a long time. put grease zerk on shaft so could fill with grease

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
I used a curved shaft 2 stroke weedeater motor with modified end to hold a propeller that was a model airplane propeller. Kind of like a go devil with less (much less) power.

However it did move the boat. Ran a long time. put grease zerk on shaft so could fill with grease

Rod
That sounds like a good idea, mount a propeller on there and you'd be good to go. Then the boat doesn't have a motor, you'd just be bringing out a weed eater with you.

When you kneel in a canoe to keep the center of gravity low, you kinda sit with your butt near your shoes instead of just bending your knees at a 90 degree angle. Sounds like a simple detail but it makes a big difference regarding how low the center of gravity is, and it makes a big difference regarding how stable the canoe is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back