GM SMALL PICKUPS WITH DIESEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything here with a diesel is to expensive. I can buy a lot of gas for the difference. And 'im one of those guys who has been asking why they have diesels in Europe,But not here.
I have driven in a Prius and was impressed with the room inside,I imagined one with a small diesel and imagined it would get crazy good mileage.

Well, in my area, diesel is now lower than gasoline. Most of the states around me, it is a dead heat. I am sure it will not stay that way long enough and return to the traditional spreads. But right now, diesel power owners are riding the crest of the wave on a cost per mile basis. makes the case against diesel a tough one to make right now.

I don't use diesel in any of my personal stuff anymore, but I go thru about 20,000 gallons of the stuff in my business, and my spreadsheets sure love the lower price.

I think it's because the demand goes up starting in September
with the harvest.
The wheat crop alone should be over 20 million tons again
this year.
What is happening with Saskatchewan potash lately?

And where is all the smoke coming from?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
In the US diesel has jumped the shark. Like others have said, higher initial purchase price, higher fuel prices, and insane maintenance costs. Emissions standards have made newer diesel vehicles very costly to own, and therefore whatever benefits they may have had before are outweighed by their complexity.

One would have said the exact same things about gasoline in the 1970s in North America. That's why we experimented with a bunch of diesel vehicles. Ironically, since the vast majority of them were garbage, they ended up helping the gassers in the end.
wink.gif

Give things time, that's all.

True, but in the mean time they are extremely expensive for consumers to own and fix.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I have a customer with over 10 Duramax GMC's ranging from '07 to '14, All with DPF & 2 with SCR/UREA.

The 2 2007's have over 300K & over 15,000 hours on them, They get worked HARD & idle a lot. A few times I have drained at least 2 quarts of fuel from the crankcase at 10K OCI's in the winter.

Neither has had the DPF replaced, A manual/forced re-gen here & there...Sure, But no high dollar repairs.

Just my 2-cents.

With the right care/modifications they can be reliable machines, but they are very particular about maintenance. Which is not something that sits well with a consumer market that just wants to gas and go. Pretty soon we will be seeing cars with "lifetime crankcase oil" just like lawn mowers.
frown.gif

Wow, I just gave 2 examples of trucks that are NOT modified in any way, Make money everyday, Abused by Drivers that do not own the truck, Idle with the AC/Heat on for 13-20 hours straight multiple times before the 10K OCI.

You know what will put them in the Bone Yard....The Body, The Beds are completely destroyed from the heavy racks that span the length of the truck.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
I think it's because the demand goes up starting in September with the harvest.

Then, there's also winter heating demand. Potash is doing pretty much the usual. And, yes, we're all smoked out. The north part of the province is ablaze. This city is pretty thick with smoke, and I haven't seen this much smoke since I was actually in forest fires years ago.

True, but in the mean time they are extremely expensive for consumers to own and fix.

Of course, but that's no surprise. If the automakers had an internal policy not to release this new emissions stuff until they were completely satisfied with the reliability, efficiency, and so forth, that would be reflected in a massively inflated vehicle price. The consumer pays no matter what.

The small diesels are fun.

Was passengering in mine today, and shot this.

Can't really hear the diesel, can the turbo, and the adam west batmobileesque bark from the snorkel intake just above the camera.

It is not the price of diesel nor the aluminium heads that turn me away from diesel power, it is the emission controls and the exhaust after treatment.

Quote:
It will be built in Rayong, Thailand,

The heartbeat of 'Merica

I predict 35,000$ starting price with 2wd.

Last edited:
I would like to see this do well. If done right, it can achieve higher mileage. Also, if successful others may get into the market. Nissan has a couple of mules with a 2.8 Cummins and 8spd ZF trans. The Lil Cummins produces 210hp/385tq, I would love to see that come to market.

Can I get a Chevy Cruze diesel engine in that Chevy Colorado?
Sure only 151 hp, but it hits 250 ft-lbs torque at 1750 rpm... Maybe best for a city 2wd work truck version anyway, or people who don't care about a lot of power.

"Although torque peaks at 264 lb-ft at 2600 rpm, 250 lb-ft is available from 1750 to 3000 rpm, and a boot on the pedal brings 280 lb-ft of overboost for up to 10 seconds—the diesel version of IndyCar's “push to pass.” " from a C&D article 2014 diesel Cruze test.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The small diesels are fun.

Was passengering in mine today, and shot this.

Can't really hear the diesel, can the turbo, and the adam west batmobileesque bark from the snorkel intake just above the camera.

Sounds pretty good! Kind of like a big truck off in the distance working up a hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back