Sludge control ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

This is my 96 Dodge caravan. Currently has 370,000+ KMS. I picked it up in 2011 with 270xxx KMS, rough shape and dirt cheap. Fast forward, its running great now. The last thing I want to keep in check is the sludge. Check out these photos taken 8 months apart. I cleaned out the valve covers when I was changing out the gaskets. I keep it on a 5000K(3000Mi) OCI for the most part.

What more can I do to help keep this engine clean? My PCV valve seems to accumulate junk in a very short time. I want to add a catch can before the next OCI.

That is not enough sludge to worry about or spend money on.

The catch can can be useful, but can cause issues also.

Rod

You are worrying about nothing. Making a purse out of a pigs ear is foolish.

Run a full synthetic of your choice, and change it out at 6,000 miles instead of the 3,000 miles you are currently running. It'll clean it some more and keep it that way.

Don't put so much as dime into that vehicle other than for necessary maintenance. It's 19 years old and worth next to nothing.

If it runs good, leave it alone.

I've had a 96, a 98 and still have a 99 Caravan. All had the 3.3 engine. Very good and reliable engines. I changed oil every 8,000 miles with conventional. Not one problem. Your engine is fine and you could go longer between oil changes.

2 years ago I put synthetic oil in my 99. It now sits in the driveway with a pan under it to catch the dripping oil. I'd stick with conventional.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Don't put so much as dime into that vehicle other than for necessary maintenance. It's 19 years old and worth next to nothing.

If it runs good, leave it alone.

A refreshing dose of logic! The goal is to keep them running as long as possible for the least amount of money as possible.

When I bought this van I wasn't expecting much. Now its become a game for me to see how long I can keep it going. I got the service manual and access to cheap parts. This one has a 3.0 motor BTW.

As for switching to synthetic I'm afraid it will leak like a sieve. In fact when I bought it, oil loss was a mind boggling 1 quart per 300Mi (500km). These days the oil consumption is at an all time low. I am running LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver for the first time. In a couple months I will have enough data to make a review on it. So far so good.

I don't see synthetics causing leaks. That was something questioned around 1976 when the first synthetics started to become semi-popular and available. Everything meets seal swell specifications, only allowing so much seal swell. Still, I do think it could be a good idea to use the Motor Saver as you are on those old seals. But synthetics don't make leaks.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
2 years ago I put synthetic oil in my 99. It now sits in the driveway with a pan under it to catch the dripping oil. I'd stick with conventional.

Synthetics clean everything up!

If this isn't proof then I dunno what is.

The 3.0L is actually a very stout motor, some tended to burn oil but they never seem to fail. Heck some might say burning some oil keeps things lubed! I had a 1992 Caravan with that motor and a 90's Lebaron with the same.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis

Synthetics clean everything up!

If this isn't proof then I dunno what is.

Cause and effect has not been established. Its like :::

0VjJIlg.jpg

I'd just use a HM oil and change at 4-6k mi depending on your usage of the van.
edit: I have had and seen good results with motor oil saver also, good luck

Last edited:
The 3L mitisubsi motor is prone to loose valve guides. Yours will have Keeper snap rings so they stay in place.

Other than that they are pretty bulletproof.

Typical of a Japanese motor it will like a nice 5W30 conventional oil. Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back