Chicago imposes 9% 'cloud tax'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's Chicago-they'd tax sunshine if they could figure out a way to do it.

Not enough sunshine in Chicago. They should instead tax snow... and real clouds, of course.
smile.gif

The rich people will just pay the tax that's passed on to them. The poorer families will cancel their internet service. Who gets hurt in the long run? The kids with no internet will fall further behind and emerge ready to accept the Democrat welfare system and begin their fulfilling life on government assistance.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
The rich people will just pay the tax that's passed on to them. The poorer families will cancel their internet service. Who gets hurt in the long run? The kids with no internet will fall further behind and emerge ready to accept the Democrat welfare system and begin their fulfilling life on government assistance.

YES, agreed! The kids of today have less and less options. I think this current generation will be the last to own homes, unless the parents houses are passed down. It's a sad unfortunate future for the youngsters. Seems like the only way to get out of the mess is to have an amazing invention, or website.

there is money to be made by keeping the ignorant people ignorant . The stupid voters stupid. The poor people,poor.

WOW! That's A LOT to put into a 9% Internet streaming services tax! Netflix streaming at 8.99 a month, that's only 80 cents. And it's not all Internet access... it's just streaming services, not "internet service". So I'm not really certain what you are arguing. Are you arguing that Netflix is that critical to US education and economic development?I think you've made a mountain out of a molehill. However, I also disagree with the tax. Chicago is broke, and they are looking for any source of revenue, but this isn't the way to go about fixing their problems, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Chicago Public Schools want to layoff 1400 and cut budget by $200 million.

http://wgntv.com/2015/07/02/cps-teachers-to-protest-1400-layoffs-200m-in-cuts/

They had better do something radical. They are BROKE! I am also sure they have unfunded pension liabilities that would frighten any businessman.

People should go to JAIL for mismanagement like that. They have received a lot of outside funding plus their heavy local taxes.....

I had a job offer in Illinois several months ago. I turned it down largely because of the high tax burden in the state. And it wasn't even in the Chicago area.

Chicago taxes pretty much everything and they continue to be broke. Honestly, most people I know living there either a) don't care about taxes or b) think taxes will fix problems.

CPS tried to reduce costs by closing schools operating at 20% capacity and the people crashed city hall with pitchforks and fire (not literally). People don't want to decrease costs, they want to increase revenue.

That's the goal

I understand that tax revenues need to be collected in order to run a civilized society (i.e. court systems, military, etc.) but in most cases taxes have simply become legalized theft. They've spent all the money and need to keep the coffers full to continue buying more votes. How is this any different than a mob mentality? Instead of breaking your kneecaps or sending you to swim with the fish they'll throw you in prison if you fail to pay.

Just remember in 1773 some Americans went ballistic when the British tried to tax TEA. Anyone wonder why our government can't secure our southern border due to apparent ineptitude but the IRS seems to be the most draconian and well oiled machine? Anyone who has had IRS troubles can attest to this. Also remember tax day and election day are about as far apart as possible on a calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back