Kubota L3130 - Oil Filter Bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Kubota L3130 small farm tractor running Rotella T6 5w40. The OE oil filters bypass setting is 16psi, I put on a WIX with a setting of 9-11psi. Am I risking the oil being bypassed most of the time and not being filtered?

does the kubota have an oil pressure gauge?

make note of the oil pressure when warm, when the filter is new. When the oil pressure drops 7-8 psi, it's time to change the filter. the OE filter would allow 15 psi drop.

Where'd you find the OE bypass specs? We have an L4330 that spec'd a filter that turned out to be the WIX 51085 equivalent. It is a 12 psi bypass too. It's currently running a M1-204 that has been in service for 1.5 years with M1 TDT.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Where'd you find the OE bypass specs? We have an L4330 that spec'd a filter that turned out to be the WIX 51085 equivalent. It is a 12 psi bypass too. It's currently running a M1-204 that has been in service for 1.5 years with M1 TDT.

Actually the WIX 51085 with the 8-11psi is the filter I'm running. When I cross referenced the Kubota filter at WIX it came up with 51311 with the 16psi bypass and says it's made for Kubota.

The 51085 is what the local parts store had on hand and fits. It's slightly longer and colored black while the 51311 is white.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
If you choose the Wix that is actually specified by Wix, I would not worry too much.

Ya, if I had done that then I wouldn't have to worry. =)

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Actually the WIX 51085 with the 8-11psi is the filter I'm running. When I cross referenced the Kubota filter at WIX it came up with 51311 with the 16psi bypass and says it's made for Kubota.

The 51085 is what the local parts store had on hand and fits. It's slightly longer and colored black while the 51311 is white.

I ran into the same issue. Lol. They didn't have the 51311 and they only had the M1 on hand at the moment. I think you'll be fine. If you're concerned I think for next time maybe Napa or Rock Auto would have the 51311.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Ya, if I had done that then I wouldn't have to worry. =)

If it were me, I wouldn't worry for one OCI. Next time, I'd try to source the correct Wix, Hastings, or Baldwin, that's all.

Wix listing for the Kubota tractors is generally sound, but there are some interesting "hmmmmmmm ...." filters.

For example, the L3130 takes the 51311.
The L3240 (the updated series of the L3130) takes the 51307.
My L3430 takes either the 51311 or 51307 (they actually list both).
There are some minor differences between those two filters; the BP value is separated, the 51307 is a tad longer, etc. But overall they both work fine in the Grand L series. Generally, because both are listed for mine, I'd have to say that it's likely that either filter will fill the bill for all those Grand L series (both the 30 series and 40 series), but as I am always of fan of understanding risks, you would be best advised to stick to the filter maker recommendation.

It's important to note that the BP pressure setting does not really come into play that often anyway. While not a direct comparison, we can draw some fair conclusions from Jim Allen's BP testing he did on his truck. The BP valve RARELY opens ever, and the only times he could get it to burp open was quick, high-revving blips of the throttle with cold oil that was thicker that his vehicle spec (running 10w-30 instead of 5w-20). Other than that, the BP valve never opened. BP events are RARE in most any application. The BP does protect the media in two circumstances:
1) cold starts with high dP during high rpm
2) blinded media
Most any BITOGer will NEVER, EVER get into either situation. Most of us are smart enough to not flog a cold engine, and there isn't a member here I am aware of that would EVER leave a filter on too long (although many waste filters and pull them prematurely ... but that's a difference vice I have for a different day ....)

As noted by others, there isn't a small diesel compact tractor out there that has been known to die an early death due to filter brand selection. Nor oil brand selection for that matter. As long as one uses a properly spec'd product for the application, anything will do quite well. There is really no way (discounting the existence of flaming opinions as evidenced here in this thread) which filter or lube is "best", but there are a LOT of great products from various brands that will help that Kubie last WAY, WAY past any use you'll have for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back