Why do people think 911 is a nanny service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whip
People are stupid.......

Sums is up totally.

Lots of it starts with our publik edyookayshun sistem and from the teechur's yoonyuns... churning out people who are not educated enough to handle the real world.

My sister and brother-in-law have had enough of the garbage school district that they live in, and are sending their kid to a private school starting next school year. And no, they're not wealthy either.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
We don't have much of a problem with nuisance 911 calls here in Canada.

Is it because our stupid people are smarter than your stupid people? Naaah. It's because our stupid people understand that nuisance 911 calls are a Criminal Code Offense ... Equivalent to a Felony in the USA.

Note: there is no misdemeanor option for a plea bargain.

Misuse of the 911 system should be punished horribly...I would not consider 50 lashes with a scourge to be inappropriate.

The only way to get a free taxi ride in the middle of the night to the ER in that fancy red truck with all the flashing lights is to call 911.

Why would you waste your money on a Yellow Cab or Uber for a trip to a doctor's office where they want to get paid?

I worked for an ambulance company restocking and cleaning trucks. Part of the new hire training was to do a ride along.
Out of the two calls we had one was for a 20 something man who had what amounted to a tummy ache.
The medics I worked with were kinda jaded ( it happens a lot from what I've seen) and after a check out they had him walk to the ambulance. His girlfriend/wife/baby momma followed the ambulance the whole way.

That kind of stuck with me while I worked there

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
We don't have much of a problem with nuisance 911 calls here in Canada.

Is it because our stupid people are smarter than your stupid people? Naaah. It's because our stupid people understand that nuisance 911 calls are a Criminal Code Offense ... Equivalent to a Felony in the USA.

Note: there is no misdemeanor option for a plea bargain.

Which section of the Criminal Code are you referring to, exactly?

Originally Posted By: whip
People are stupid.......

I can only agree, We have the same stupid people here in sweden too.
They call our emergency number 112 for all kinds of stupid things.
It should only be used if someones life is in danger or if its an ongoing crime.
But people call it if they have lost their homekeys in the mittle of night and for other stupid things when they should call a locksmith instead.

60% of the calls to 112 is not emergency calls, It have been around 60% every year from 2000 until today so it does not seem to change to the better.

911 is a luxury service we have. I try not to call unless needed. We should be happy we even have people will to come to our need/calling. They do a great service and we should be respectful and greatful to police,sheriffs,mounties,FBI and constables alike.

Sadly, in my 70+ years I've called 911 only once. It was from a cell phone located less than 1/2 mile from the tower. The call would not go through since I was on a different net work.
If they want to fix something, make all 911 calls go to any companies tower.
MHO
Smoky

Funny coincidence that the media in Oz this weekend is all over the "nuisance 000" calls, and that "fully 40% of 000 calls did not need an ambulance".

All cost cutting.

The times that we have needed "000" (911) we have been stuck at call centres with protocols, who will not register a call until a number of conditions are met.

And genuine calls don't meet those protocols half the times that I have experienced.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
911 is a luxury service we have. I try not to call unless needed. We should be happy we even have people will to come to our need/calling. They do a great service and we should be respectful and greatful to police,sheriffs,mounties,FBI and constables alike.

I have called a dozen or so times...usually to report a car wreck, once to report a brush fire, once for an ambulance when a guy fell off a roof. Called once to report a couch in the left lane of I-495.
eek.gif

Several times, I called to report reckless drivers.

That is simply part of the job. As long as lines not flooded by oddball calls to impede normal ones I don't see an issue. My guess is the 911 operators are sitting more then doing or I could be quite wrong.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
My guess is the 911 operators are sitting more then doing

This can vary wildly from day to day, and even from one hour to the next.

My wife worked a 12 hour shift last night (7pm to 7am) and was on phones for 8 of those hours. In those 8 hours she took 160 calls, which averages out to a call every 3 minutes.

Other times it can be unusually calm and they do a lot of sitting around. Sometimes it can be very calm, and then [censored] hits the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back