Ram Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rojack
What are you going to use it for? I have seen Fords have a lot of problems, in fact some people say Ford stands for fix or repair daily.

Not according to objective criteria. Take a look at www.truedelta.com. Ford is at the top of the domestic brands for overall reliability, lowest repair costs and so on. There are only 3 years where GM products exceed Ford's reliability over the last 15. Dodge is a distant 3rd.

Toyota comes out way on top with regard to overall reliability.

I have owned a 15 RAM 1500 CC SLT Big Horn for 4 months now. So far it is the best pickup I have owned. Prior to this I had a 2010 FX4, a 06 RAM, and a 05 Silverado.

I am very please with the RAM with the 5.7 HEMI and the ZF8 highway fuel economy can push 30MPG and if I set cruse to 75MPH mid 20's MPG is almost a given.

Thank you barkley. Does anyone have a preference for one 8 speed or the other? The V6 Tradesman has the option of the 8R45FE, and the V8 an 8HP70.

I inherited a 2013 ram quad cab hemi. 60k on the odo.
Fantastic truck though I rarely drive it. Reminds me of my dad.

6 speed shifts funny. I'm sure if I drove it more it would learn my habits.

For all its bells and whistles I still grab the keys to my beat up 01 Sierra c3 first. I think it's because it's mine,it's dirty. My dog loves it.
The dodge is a great truck. Light years ahead of my Chevy.

But I'm not a light years evolved kind of guy

New 14 Ram in our driveway. A bit past 12k miles.

Fantastic driving vehicle. I drove them all, this truck equipped with hemi, 8 speed, and 3.91 gears gives you good pickup and economy. Plenty of tow power, too.

Note that we are long time Chevy folks here. But when you go GM you must buy your options in groups. Ram allowed us to get a truck with exactly what we wanted.

So far we are delighted...

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I have owned a 15 RAM 1500 CC SLT Big Horn for 4 months now. So far it is the best pickup I have owned. Prior to this I had a 2010 FX4, a 06 RAM, and a 05 Silverado.

I am very please with the RAM with the 5.7 HEMI and the ZF8 highway fuel economy can push 30MPG and if I set cruse to 75MPH mid 20's MPG is almost a given.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500, same engine and tranny and I can't duplicate that, not for average. The graph might briefly flash to 30mpg but it is not average. I have done 60 and 65 on cruise and can't get that. I went on a 4 hour trip all highway at 65mph and averaged 23 according to the display but that is usually about 3mpg high as opposed to when I do the math for actual mileage.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Rojack
What are you going to use it for? I have seen Fords have a lot of problems, in fact some people say Ford stands for fix or repair daily.

Not according to objective criteria. Take a look at www.truedelta.com. Ford is at the top of the domestic brands for overall reliability, lowest repair costs and so on. There are only 3 years where GM products exceed Ford's reliability over the last 15. Dodge is a distant 3rd.

Toyota comes out way on top with regard to overall reliability.

The 14 Ram is showing better numbers than the F150 under realiability though.

I owned a used Ford F150 and had nothing but problems with it. One thing after another and the bed and truck was in such shape as to indicate it had not been worked hard. I know the sales history these have but my experience has been different.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Check out "the fast lane trucks" on YouTube . Plenty of mash ups pitting GM vs Ford vs Ram etc. The "Ike gauntlet" tests are pretty revealing.

I'm addicted to low speed torque, so turbos for me - that means Ford takes home the prize. I thought the 1500 Ram diesel would be cool until I saw TFLT tackle the Ike with the Ram diesel.
Turbo is better at high altitude. actually all the trucks do real good. I like their videos.Diesel is a no go because of the after treatment and emission controls. My wife has a 2002 Ford F250 x cab with a manual and a Stupid duty engine she loves the truck and knock on wood the whole truck has been really reliable so far.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I just built two trucks on Ram's website. Both are '15 Ram Tradesman 1500, with regular cab, four wheel drive and the 8' box. One was a 3.6 V6 with the 8R45FE and the other a 5.7 V8 with the 8HP70. Both trucks in Blue Streak Metallic. Any thoughts?

Your probably going to have to wait a few weeks until the 16's come out I think the cut off for the regular cabs was around now. No changes for 2016 planned though.

The V6 goes like stink, I'd only buy the Hemi for giggles.

Get the Pentastar with the 3.55 LSD rear end and don't look back. Fuel mileage is pretty good I'm getting almost 17 city driving, and as soon as I get it on some back roads it shoots right up.

Last edited:
Thank you barkley. Does anyone have a preference for one 8 speed or the other? The V6 Tradesman has the option of the 8R45FE, and the V8 an 8HP70.

That's the HP rating the transmission is designed for, they also make a 90 version for the Hellcat and a couple Bentley applications.

Last edited:
Too bad about that Pstar mileage. Our 5.7 Hemi easily pulls 17-18 mpg even with lead footed wifey at the wheel using those 3.91 gears to move out.

I drive the thing in Eco in the top 5 gears easily, it's an amazing combo. Rarely see the tach over 1500 unless you are on it, and the sweet sounds...

We have settled on 87 octane, as going up to 89 only slightly sharpens the saw.

If I drove on the wide flat fast roads of FL I'd be over 20.

The big Hemi trucks get 12-14 doing my driving cycle, had a couple as rentals. When I say "city" I'm not talking about rural midwest cities, I'm talking about NYC city, New Haven, etc.

The stop and go really kills all trucks MPG's along with the extended idling.

Last edited:
Haha, you don't drive much on US 19 at rush hour!

Sorry, but not all the roads here are flat and fast. It should be pointed out that my business associate who runs a water damage firm has 3 Ram trucks that are strippers with the V6 and 8 speed combo. He shows me 20's on his display all the time, even going to the dump!

Even when new and being driven into triple digits I have never seen below 15 on the display. Note also that the truck has over 80 hours of idle time on the built in counter, my wife routinely sits in it doing her reports...

Last edited:
Love my 14 hemi. Ok mpgs. Great power. Sounds great with the glass pack.

Oil change and air filter change is very easy.

I have like 180 hours of idle time, need to check the dash for total hours.

When I drive my truck around FL next winter I suspect I'll get fantastic mileage as well.

Last edited:
Is the C3 a quadrasteer truck?

No. I don't think so anyways

The c3 in 01 became the the Denali then became the SS

It's awd and has the same 6.0 as the escalade

ya check the front of the bed between the cab. also take a rail light out and see if theres paint. cheap [censored] charge you 60000 for a truck and don't paint everything. chysler sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back