Do people just lie when they write car ads, or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon, get real. People have always lied....you've always had to thoroughly inspect a car.
Heck, caveat emptor is in Latin. Doesn't that tell you something?

Also, I don't think "tiangleization" applies to helping a family member shop for a car. It's just called helping. Kira

I looked at an ad today, it had one photo. Said h had more he could send. ? Why would I waste my money receiving pics when you could put them in the stupid ad?

I looked at one car that said it had cruise. I was pretty sure it did not. I test drove it, told the sales guy it did not have cruise. He said he would fix that. Month later and the car still says cruise.

Originally Posted By: Patman
One thing that really bothers me is when someone lists their car as being fully loaded, when it's clearly missing some options. Perfect example is a 2015 Corvette for sale in the Auto Trader right now by a private seller here in Ontario. Claims it's fully loaded but yet it's missing the carbon fiber dash, it's missing the red (or yellow) brake caliper option, it only has the transparent roof (there is an option to include two roofs, either transparent and body color or transparent and carbon fiber), and it doesn't have magnetic selective ride control on it. So it's clearly missing about $5000 worth of options!

How many owners wouldn't even KNOW about the painted calipers or carbon fiber dash options? (And it COULD have both roof panels, but simply have the transparent one installed.)

Originally Posted By: supton
I looked at an ad today, it had one photo. Said h had more he could send. ? Why would I waste my money receiving pics when you could put them in the stupid ad?

Some people are like me: techno-stupid. When I sold my Jeep, I just could not get pictures to load properly on the ad...so, I included "text or email for pics". It worked, I sold the Jeep a week and a half later.

The new owner did something horrible to it, however. She put a New York Yankees hitch cover on it.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Bob5150
"Perfect interior, sunroof, leather, good tires, new brakes, a great car for cheap!

Just needs a motor."

I see variations of this one a lot.

The best ones are the ones that mention all the parts that have been replaced and then at the end says very reliable. If it was that reliable, then maybe they wouldn't have had to replace all those parts.

7-8 years ago I posted my friends 1991 Accord on Craigslist with some photos, got 3-4 phone calls within 2-3 hours and sold for asking price within 5-6 hours.

If an item is accurately advertised at reasonable price it will be sold fairly fast. I didn't sell anything on Craigslist for 2-3 years, before that I sold many items at good price in fairly short time.

There are some goods to be purchased (and sell on) Craigslist, but there are many better to avoid.

Craiglist is used by all kinds of people, but (perhaps because it is free) attracts a bunch of a "special type" of people. They don't think they are lying because after they've convinced themselves their stuff is the best stuff ever, they actually believe it. That's what makes them the best liars, they aren't trying to lie, it just happens naturally.

Of course those of us how know the product specifications or can do a visual diagnosis know better.

This works both ways. I friend of mine regularly does CL because people who don't understand technology or don't care often dump stuff below market value. However he puts up with a LOT of flakes in the process- and is amused by it. I, however, have a very low [censored] tolerance level, so I just avoid CL.

Should you really tell the truth about a $5000 car? I feel it is expected that the ads are not truthful or owners don't know better.

My guess is no accident vehicle means they were sucked into buying a car with no accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back