Pay as you go phones & Verizon cell towers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using a Virgin Mobil smart phone. Great monthly price @ $35/month but they use Sprint towers, and like AT&T Sprint is very spotty around here.

Since AT&T and Sprint is a bit spotty on coverage, I would like to try a pay as you go phone that uses Verizon towers. Is there such a thing?

I like Tracfone, but I'm not a big talker. I only use on average 4 min/5mb of data per week.

I love my tracfone, but I use one off of AT&T towers. But they do have them that run off of Verizon towers. Just make sure they have a "c" after them as in LG 305C and not a "G". For example, here is one that runs off of Verizon: LG 305C

I have been very happy with Pageplus Cellular. They use Verizon towers exclusively, and a lot of different plans, none with contracts

I have tracphone because I rarely use it. Tracphone works great in the city, but when you head to the outskirts, coverage tends to suck, with rarely, if any coverage. Since I live in the City and work in the local mountains, I like to have coverage when I need it. My work phone (Verizon) tends to have coverage pretty much everywhere, which sort of sucks sometimes when I’m high in the mountains and I get a call from HQ wanting some information.

In addition to Page Plus Cellular, byowireless.com (CDMA side) is Verizon, and the new Walmart Total Wireless use Verizon too. The only limitation to these 2 is that they only offer Verizon 3g currently, which is plenty fast for me. If you stream a lot of media, this might be an issue.

My first smartphone was on Virgin Mobile and was unlimited data for $25/mo. The only issue was coverage. When they raised it to $35 and capped the data, I moved on.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I am currently using a Virgin Mobil smart phone. Great monthly price @ $35/month but they use Sprint towers, and like AT&T Sprint is very spotty around here.

Since AT&T and Sprint is a bit spotty on coverage, I would like to try a pay as you go phone that uses Verizon towers. Is there such a thing?

You can get non contract plans directly from Verizon. I believe some models of Tracfone use Verizon and others AT&T.

You can get a basic Tracfone for under $10 with 20 minutes to start. You you could at least try out a phone.

But Sprint should roam on Verizon cell towers.

I would ask a few people around where you live (who seem to get good cells service) what carrier they use. There may be no good cell service.

I have a Verizon and AT&T cell phones and neither works good at my house.

I just switched from 10 years of Sprint contracts to a non-contract plan w/ Verizon.

I get unlimited talk/text and 2g of data for $49.00/month. I ended up with a Moto G phone for $59.00.

Too soon to talk about how I feel, though 2 friends complain I cut in/out on conversations. This is within a large metro area, and not necessarily limited to being in a car.

Originally Posted By: Donald

But Sprint should roam on Verizon cell towers.

There may be no good cell service.

I have a Verizon and AT&T cell phones and neither works good at my house.

True sprint will roam on Verizon BUT virgin mobile and any other prepaid carrier does not include roaming. That is how they can be so much cheaper than the major carrier.
If you never leave the city prepaid seems like a good deal.

I have Tracfone BYOD with an iPhone 4, I have the yearly plan, came with 4G of data (which I rarely use, usually use wifi) & 4000 minutes of talk time for $129.99, my phone was a CPO Verizon prepaid. Usually outperforms my company's AT&T service, for a fraction of the cost.

Checkout Straight Talk they offer usage of Verizon towers. Buy a phone on EBay or at Wal-Mart, etc. If you have your own phone buy the kit and you get 5 GB of Data and unlimited talk and text for 45 Dollars a month. Check for a discount with auto bill pay.

Check the Straight Talk Web Site.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Is there such a thing?

Yes.

Just went through this process myself -- have used AT&T for ages, but Verizon has done a good job of providing consistent, thorough 4G coverage in my area of the country...quality service where AT&T has been spotty, at best.

Anyways, after all the research, the best deal I could find is here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Moto-E-Prepaid-Smartphone/44052006
(Tip: It was actually considerably more expensive on the shelf of the local store, but just show them the Walmart.com page -- they'll match the $44.99 price)

The reviews are excellent, operates on the 4G LTE network, has already been updated to Android 5.1, and everything you need is included in the box. The plan itself is $45/month, includes 1GB of data, and unlimited talk/text. Sign up for auto pay, and you'll get 2GB of data/month at no additional cost.

Another tip: The Moto G has also received almost universal acclaim, but the version that Verizon sells is not the 4G model. That's absurd for 2015, and makes the Moto E an easy choice.

giXo5iH.png
PvaxM0o.png

I use the G and E's cousin the moto x on Verizon on a contract plan and its hands down the best phone I've ever had. The moto series of smartphones are almost like a best kept secret since they work great but everybody goes right past them looking for there Apple or Samsung.

I used PagePlus Cellular for a few years, now I'm with Puppy Wireless (also uses Verizon towers). I guess you could call it like an off-shoot start-up by one of the PagePlus dealers, but with more plan options and better UI.

The phone I use is some $30 LG I bought from Wal-Mart that was in a Straight-Talk package, but I used it with Pageplus and now with my current service.

Last edited:
I`m with Puppy Wireless also my plan is 250 minutes,250texts , 25mb data for $11.95 a month . It works for me.

I bought my wife a galaxy s4 and we put it on page plus.

Works fine for her.

My only gripe with page plus is the customer service is poor at best. We buy the plan through calling mart, and use some coupons so we pay less than face value. No tax.

I switched from Virgin Mobile to Consumer Cellular. Now my calls are received everywhere I go. Consumer uses ATT airways and your $35 plan at Virgin is cheaper at Consumer.

I am actually shopping for a prepaid phone at this time. It is going to be either Cricket Wireless or Straight Talk for me.

If Cricket has the phone I want (ZTE Overture 2) then I will get that, as they come in $5 less a month with almost identical data usage.

Towers and signal are pretty saturated around here, minimal dead zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back