Honda GCV160 Seizes at First Starts of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
The160gx version of this engine runs all my air compressors. I've got over 15000 hours of run time on the first 2 I bought a decade ago when I started this company and currently have 16 of them running inline and v-twin air pumps. One is even running a triple.
And I can say I've never seen nor heard of what you are referring to.

Op

Use mos2 in it. Problem solved.

Cool story bro. Your GX engine is light years more durable than a GCV160. The GCV160 is a light duty lawn mower engine. It works great on a lawn mower. They break the plastic camshafts when used on pressure washers. All the time. I see em in my shop about twice a month for the same exact problem. I'm not a huge fan of the engine on pressure washers. They are decent lawn mower engine though.

For hits and giggles, next time one of your engines take a dump, replace it with a GC160 and we can see how long it last. It wont last 15,000 hours and probably wont make it to 2000 hours.

The plastic camshaft and/or plastic camshaft pulley explodes into a 20 pieces.
gc-side-cut-away-900x900.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Clevy
The160gx version of this engine runs all my air compressors. I've got over 15000 hours of run time on the first 2 I bought a decade ago when I started this company and currently have 16 of them running inline and v-twin air pumps. One is even running a triple.
And I can say I've never seen nor heard of what you are referring to.

Op

Use mos2 in it. Problem solved.

Cool story bro. Your GX engine is light years more durable than a GCV160. The GCV160 is a light duty lawn mower engine. It works great on a lawn mower. They break the plastic camshafts when used on pressure washers. All the time. I see em in my shop about twice a month for the same exact problem. I'm not a huge fan of the engine on pressure washers. They are decent lawn mower engine though.

For hits and giggles, next time one of your engines take a dump, replace it with a GC160 and we can see how long it last. It wont last 15,000 hours and probably wont make it to 2000 hours.

The plastic camshaft and/or plastic camshaft pulley explodes into a 20 pieces.
gc-side-cut-away-900x900.jpg

Well I haven't had one take a "dump" on me in over a decade,nor am I expecting one to.
The pic above saddens me. If that's a Honda they've really dropped the ball and one might as well buy a chonda since it looks like they are the same thing minus the Honda nameplate.
And 15000 hours isn't typical. To be honest my 2 oldest are higher than that. Still start first pull too.
My newer ones though decent don't run as well as my oldest ones.

Plastic cams. Thanks for posting this pic. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back