Kroil fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was removing the wheels from an old truck that had been run for years on salted roads. I could barely move the lug nuts with a heavy four bar lug wrench with a pipe "cheater" I loosened the lugs one turn and soaked them with Kroil.
One hour later I unscrewed the lugs with great effort. The outer half inch of the lug stud was rusty and totally dry. How come the Kroil did not soak into the loosened nuts? I wire brushed everything and put on a generous coating of never seize so I never have this situation again.

if you have rusty fasteners you should knock the rust off first before unscrewing them. Problem with liquid wrench type stuff is that the oily rust piles up in the threads and it heats up and seizes on the way off.

You have to soak them, and then tap or bang the rusty nuts and bolts to get some vibration to work the Kroil in. On really rusted parts I let it sit overnight in addition to tapping and banging the fastener. I've had good luck with the product using it that way.

I not that impressed with Kroil using on my vehicles in the rust belt the last 3 years.

That said as a previous gent mentioned, I read that whatever penetrant is used vibration and hammering should be used to break up the rust to give the penetrant a path to work in.

Has anyone used AC Delco Rust Penetrant and Inhibitor? It claims its good for old heat riser valves too.

Do not get in such a big hurry. Let the stuff sit for 24 hours, you said salt and stuff for years and you want a drive through breakthrough in 5 minutes, give it a break, that is not a drive thru window I want my hamburger now moment, imho....take your time.

Note: when taking rust bolts or nuts off, instead of backing off the nut or bolt first, try to tighten it first somewhat, then untighen it, helps break all that rust loose just a tad. Doesn't make sense, try it....

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Today I was removing the wheels from an old truck that had been run for years on salted roads. I could barely move the lug nuts with a heavy four bar lug wrench with a pipe "cheater" I loosened the lugs one turn and soaked them with Kroil.
One hour later I unscrewed the lugs with great effort. The outer half inch of the lug stud was rusty and totally dry. How come the Kroil did not soak into the loosened nuts? I wire brushed everything and put on a generous coating of never seize so I never have this situation again.
let it sit overnite, slow down some.

I removed the exhaust and one header on a SUV from 1998 last week; never been off in that time. I soaked each bolt/nut on each end the night before w/Kroil.

All the nuts came off easily once broken free. Could not be more pleased. I have tested PB blaster, liquid wrench, and kroil head-to-head on different bolts on the same application. Kroil is the only one I will buy now; always been superior for me.

I've actually been having amazing experiences using CRC knocker loose for stuff like that. Bolts that have been down salty roads? Try bolts that have been in salt water for months.

I give it 5 minutes, and just about anything comes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back