tire wear rwd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that the front tires likes to wear on the outer edge and the rear tires in the middle if the truck was unloaded. Tire rotations even out the tire wear so they wear evenly.

Its more even than FWD but they wear differently.

The fronts wear the edges more esp.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I find that the front tires likes to wear on the outer edge and the rear tires in the middle if the truck was unloaded. Tire rotations even out the tire wear so they wear evenly.

This.

I have only owned 1 FWD vehicle out of the 13 or 14 I have owned, and without exception all wore the tires like wirelessF said.

Last edited:
Fronts will wear differently for sure. With FWD, the tires are pulling the car and will load the suspension accordingly. With RWD, the car is pushing the front wheels. It's a whole different dynamic.

As a general rule, the front tires of a RWD will wear on the shoulders and the drives will wear in the centers and at about the same rate.

HOWEVER, this is dependent on your driving being more or less average. If you live in the city and make lots of turns, or do the opposite (spend lots of time on the interstate driving straight ahead), this might not be true.

If the rear axle is perfectly straight the rear lasts a long time,I have seen "bent" axles that wear tires on the inside badly.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
As a general rule, the front tires of a RWD will wear on the shoulders and the drives will wear in the centers and at about the same rate.

That's what I see on the Tracker, as I never bothered to rotate the tires for the last two years, maybe 30k miles. The wear pattern isn't excessive but its there if you look for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back