Just Got Cooked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had to lay off the bike far too much the past 2 months due to all the rain here. As a result, the weight has slowly been returning. I'll get a day in, then it'll rain and be wet, misty and so humid it's just deflating.

Summer temps have recently returned and the sky is still milky-white with moisture. I went for 20mi on the "mtn bike" today on smooth trails, up & down hills, and just...got...cooked. I've downed about 2ga. of water and not peed once. I didn't get dizzy, or light-headed, or nauseated, but I sure got cooked and my legs are noodles.

Current conditions at 8:40p CDT:
Outdoor temp: 85°F
Outdoor Rh: 78%
Heat Index: 95°F

Civil Twilight ends:________ 9:04p CDT
Nautical Twilight ends: _____9:37p
Astronomical Twilight ends: 10.12p

Yeah the heat and humidity was crazy today!! I mowed my yard then washed/waxed my car. I covered myself with some Australian Gold and am now super dark :^)

I plan on taking a bike ride tonight,probably ride for a couple of hours after dinner.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I've had to lay off the bike far too much the past 2 months due to all the rain here. As a result, the weight has slowly been returning. I'll get a day in, then it'll rain and be wet, misty and so humid it's just deflating.

I don't mean this in a [censored] way, but if you knew you would be less active why not eat a bit less when you know you can't get on your bike?.

Claud.

I have modified the diet. However, exercise is key and necessary. Once the body gets used to it, you really miss it.

If you want the full story, see my earlier post.

Take an hour walk early or in the evening. Still too hot or rainy.....walk in the mall for an hour. Try to do at least 25 pushups every morning. I'm up to 60 but when I first started it was tough doing 10 without getting the shakes.

How much of that water was before or during your ride?

If you were thirsty, you were already behind with respect to H20.

If you can't ride regularly, then a long ride is going to leave you with noodle legs.

Might try to get ahead when it comes to fluids and not just water. You can bring on something with electrolytes as warm as it is there. You are going to sweat out needed minerals during a hot workout. That may contribute to the feeling in your legs.

Summer temps have recently returned and the sky is still milky-white with moisture. I went for 20mi on the "mtn bike" today on smooth trails, up & down hills, and just...got...cooked. I've downed about 2ga. of water and not peed once. I didn't get dizzy, or light-headed, or nauseated, but I sure got cooked and my legs are noodles.

Current conditions at 8:40p CDT:
Outdoor temp: 85°F
Outdoor Rh: 78%
Heat Index: 95°F

Civil Twilight ends:________ 9:04p CDT
Nautical Twilight ends: _____9:37p
Astronomical Twilight ends: 10.12p

First off, I made a mistake regarding water consumed. It should read 2 qrts., not gallons!

I'd been drinking iced tea before as I was in the heat, helping a neighbor with a boat that wouldn't start. When we found no joy, I decided to go for a ride. I took a squirt bottle with me and left an insulated bottle with ice water in the car for post-ride.

I do have Gatorade powder. I will mix some to take on next ride.

I'm up on the warning signs of heat exhaustion, but wasn't suffering from that. I wasn't dehydrated, weak, etc., the sled's A/C SURE FELT GOOD post-ride! I needed that!

I came home, pointed a floor fan at me, drank cold tea, and thoroughly cooled down. So I'm OK. No worries.

I know what you mean - it was >90*F here in Nashvegas today and probably about 85% humidity, too. I just got a new mountain bike, so I did ~ 22 miles and it was HOT. Killed most of a gallon of water while riding, and a quart of Gatorade on the way home, and I'm still peeing dark yellow.

Yep...we're back to baking in fajita flats here:

Outside temp: _____94°F
Outdoor Rh: _______57%
Solar Intensity: ___1096 W/sqr-mtr.
Solar Heat Index:__128°F

The heat's easier to take, for me, when the humidity is lower. 57% is still too high, but it sure beats > 80%. High pressure is continuing to build here, which will result in lower Rh, which will result in higher temps. The sky is no longer white, clouds are much smaller and not very tall. All signs of increasing high pressure.

I may have to actually turn on my yard sprinklers for the first-time this year!!

I may have to actually turn on my yard sprinklers for the first-time this year!!

I was thinking the same thing today. Many of my neighbors have been watering all winter, in the rain, the day after rain, and the day after a week of flooding. Humans are so wasteful.

But, yes, watering season may finally be here. I have been in this house almost twenty years and have never made it to mid July without having to water. It's been nice.

I'm going to get a cheap soil moisture detector and see how things look when I "think" it's time to water. If I find that the soil has enough moisture, even when I think it shouldn't, I am going to go ahead and add an electronic sensor to my system to prevent it from running when not needed. I added a rain sensor a few years ago for $15. The moisture sensors don't cost much more than that.

I finally turned on the sprinklers last night for 1hr 20min. The grass was dull green and shriveled. It's currently about 5" long and I haven't cut it in about 6 weeks now. This morning it was back to a healthy, emerald green. I laid down the 2nd application of fertilizer this year, this afternoon and will water it in this evening for about 20min.

Back to baking in CenTex...

We have had record heat this summer in the Northwest. Reason why we are having record wildfires as well.
I went for a mostly road ride on my mountain bike today.

We have a major cooling trend happening now. It is kind of nice.

I always look forward to the first front strong-enough to drop the temps into the low 80's. (That's quite a change when it heats up to 98 - 104°F from early May through Sept.)

Been back on the bike recently, despite the heat, slowly building up the legs again. I'm dealing with the heat OK, just have to stay well hydrated. Pedaled around quite a bit in it today, comparing a neighbors 27speed bike to my 12...geesh....no wonder he easily climbs the long, steep faster than I do...he has a grandpa-gear!! Plus he's about 40#'s lighter!

Back to "Build B_utt. Reduce Gut."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back