Video from Liqui Moly research lab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I've seen the engineers at Mobil do much the same presentation, way back in the late 1980's (when I worked for them) . It's always interesting to see what comprises a typical oil.

Would have been nice to see the individual additive package components.

Nice. A lot of Group 3 base 4Cst and 6Cst making a 5w30 with VI and PPD, and other add of style, and a few PAO (1/10 of a quart?)

Good video, thanks for posting it.

Looking at the Mobil blend guide (admittedly for PAO), the 4 and 6 cst , and the mention of -40C look like it was more a 0W30 target than 5W30.

Mobil%20Viscosity%20Mix.jpg

Other end of the spectrum, here's AFTON's blending information for one of their polymers.

Afton%20VII%20treat%20rate.jpg

Third column along, with "150N" at the top shows a 5.1cst base oil being brought up to xW30 grade with 5% polymer.

I found another video, this time from Valvoline which talks about the process in more details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw&feature=youtu.be&t=199

It also features ETCG which asks some questions to engineers from Valvoline. Personally I liked the video except maybe the moment when ETCG started to convince Valvoline folks that flow characteristics of synthetic oils are better than the conventional oils given the same SAE viscosity of both oils.

Please note that Travis Montgomery in the Valvoline video is neither a chemist, and engineer, nor a tribologist. He's a marketing person with zero education in lubrication formulation.

Take his input for what it is...marketing.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Hello Everyone,

I thought this video might be interesting for an oil enthusiasts because it shows how different packages are mixed together which create an engine oil:

- viscosity modifier
- additive package
- PAO base
- etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUmgqOH6ofY

Great video, thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back