Spark plug pic and question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the #8 plug on my 2011 Ford 5.0L. Original plugs changed about 20k ago due to excessive gap, all looked perfect except #8 was slightly blacker than the rest. Pulled this one today to check condition as the truck uses a nominal amount of oil (1qt every 4k miles). Electrode and all looks good to me, but looks a little sooty around the base? I don't know, what say you?

2hmde35.jpg

no69ex.jpg

I would believe that cylinder is where your oil consumption is taking place.Not bad enough where the plug gets fouled.

It has some soot, but it looks like it is cleaning itself out well. I am betting most likely you may just be burning on start up only to be consuming such a small amount.

The insulator is clean white indicating a very lean burn. it should be light tan color. Check for vacuum leak somewhere the extra air entering can cause a lean condition, and if localized to this one cylinder could have caused damage to it. The crusty oil indicates it is burning oil probably rings or valve seals. if it is rings the combustion gases will contaminate the oil and coluld cause lubrication problems if it gets out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back