A quick torture story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2002 Volvo V70.
GOOD: It has 2 new CV shafts, one new front bearing, new ball joints, good brakes, timing belt, water pump
BAD: Heat sensitive A/C clutch (goes out) otherwise functions OK
Slightly balky transmission-completely manageable (endemic of '02's) and 185,000 miles

I know of a 2005 SAME CAR with 117,000 miles
GOOD: SOLID A/C, SOLID transmission, feels great
BAD: buzzing diaphragm in the PCV box which I can change
a P0014 code (the owner said a mechanic fiddled with his VVT solenoid). Not sure about that one.

He wants $4,100 for it. If I sold my '02? ...3 year newer car...solid A/C and trans....what to do?

I could wait for a 2007 or 2006 but 117 is as low as you see 'em. Torture I say! Kira

I'd keep yours if I were you, citing that you know the issues that your current volvo has and most of the critical ones have been fixed.

I don't like taking on other people's baggage (esp. hidden/unknown ones that owners try to hide from you).

Q.

You can never have too many cars.

If you like that specific model and have experience with them, what are the odds that another one will come along when you ready for another car?

Offer him $3,500 to get the ball rolling.

Wait until October to sell the one with the bad a/c. NO, don't try to hide the fact that it doesn't work! But buyers will figure they can wait till next summer to fix it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Old Volvos were really nice cars the newer Volvos aren't.

+1 Since the Chinese bought Volvo I would not touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Originally Posted By: Kira
BAD: buzzing diaphragm in the PCV box which I can change
a P0014 code (the owner said a mechanic fiddled with his VVT solenoid).

That you know of. But of course there is a chance there are other things that may also need fixing either now or in near future. So, just factor this into the overall equation. It may still be worth getting, but personally, if you're going to upgrade, I'd upgrade to something more significantly newer and/or with significantly fewer miles. Go big or go home.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: CT8
Old Volvos were really nice cars the newer Volvos aren't.

+1 Since the Chinese bought Volvo I would not touch one with a 10 foot pole.

This is my biggest thing right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back