$71,000 for a Pickup Truck !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing at a Mercedes Benz forum, and there was a post from a member who traded in his Mercedes SUV and a 9 year old Dodge pickup, towards the purchase of a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited with the Cummins Diesel. I did not realize you could option out a pickup to the tune of $71,000. Crazy. What is the upper limit on price? $90,000?

Apparently, whatever the market will bear, and we haven't hit that point yet.

Meanwhile, my Dakota better last me another 100,000 miles because it's my last truck unless I can find something reasonable, both in size and cost.

gotta pay if you wanna play. or buy used, even then the used cummins market is a bit insane.

Let's be honest, nobody actually pays 70 grand for a pickup truck. They will finance that thing with little money down and then probably sell it at a loss once they realize they can't afford it and/or don't need it.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Let's be honest, nobody actually pays 70 grand for a pickup truck. They will finance that thing with little money down and then probably sell it at a loss once they realize they can't afford it and/or don't need it.

The first part you would be quite wrong, the second part is true, the third part happens on occasion.

You were looking at something wrong. Loading a 3500 Dually Chevy/Ram Diesel 4WD completely shouldn't get you much about 68,000. Which is not bad for everything those trucks include. And the vehicle will certainly last longer than a similarly priced German luxury car.

Maybe someone needs a diesel, dually with 4x4, leather and all the extras. After all, they probably make several trips to Home Depot every year. You can't be too careful when it comes to load capacity. Having 6 wheels rolling and both axles engaged might just be enough.

There are other considerations as well. I you have a gravel driveway and a transition to a paved street you might need to add some remote reservoir shocks and lift the truck a foot or more.

And don't forget a winch. A 12 ton model might just be enough. And if the sun goes down there's lighting to consider. 10-12 additional fog and spot lights would be a good starting point.

Just remember, when it comes to a pickup you've got to be prepared.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
49.gif
banana2.gif

The profit margin on these things is nearly criminal, but idiots keep buying them.

Last edited:
That's the price of a second hand one in Aus!
You may be surprised to hear that top of the line F-series, Tundras, Silverados and Rams etc. cost $100k+ brand new here. Most of the price is for the cost of the conversion but they still sell really well somehow. Probably the super rich that buy them cause half the time I see them they are towing a $250k boat!

I can see that. If you get the cowboy Cadillac Laramie lariat with the bro-max-elite package ...

I miss the days when a truck was a work tool ...

7 year loans. Back in the 1970 I bought a real nice semi truck for $40.000. The value of the $$$$ has dropped and dropped. And the added after treatments add quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: horse123
……….Loading a 3500 Dually Chevy/Ram Diesel 4WD completely shouldn't get you much about 68,000. ……….

Adding in the cost of an extended warranty, and some accessories (trucknutz, HD floor mats, etc), and sales tax, can get you well above $68,000, I am thinking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123
You were looking at something wrong. Loading a 3500 Dually Chevy/Ram Diesel 4WD completely shouldn't get you much about 68,000. Which is not bad for everything those trucks include. And the vehicle will certainly last longer than a similarly priced German luxury car.
Probably have a better resale value as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back