Why are custom wheels now being called "rims"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you're getting at.
The post that I quoted was trying to make it seem degrading and low class that a store offers financing specifically on oversized Rims.
My point was that everything can be financed not just a special case in those "local" stores .

Specifically a store that has a financing product signed up from a financing provider usually is not allowed to restrict the items that you can buy with it. You get a credit limit for a monetary amount; but you are not restricted on the items you buy with it, anything in the store can be put on the card.

It's like a visa or other credit card. Imagine if you go in, and they say no your visa is only good for tires, we can't sell you wheels on a visa.

Having a product-restriction policy falls into legal trouble because it is too easy to be used for discrimination where a product is allowed one day but then not allowed a different day, or using different product numbers to make false distinctions .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
I'm getting at the fact that financing oversized rims is a ridiculous thing to do.

Sure point taken.
But just to be clear my point is: a STORE offering financing on rims is neither ridiculous nor something odd, but standard practice and every single store does it from chain tire stores to custom stores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I'm getting at the fact that financing oversized rims is a ridiculous thing to do.

Sure point taken.
But just to be clear my point is: a STORE offering financing on rims is neither ridiculous nor something odd, but standard practice and every single store does it from chain tire stores to custom stores.

cheers3.gif

I will always call them wheels, but it kind of comes down to Kleenex/Puffs, or Channel locks/slip joint pliers, etc.

Sure point taken.

There is nothing odd about it, but there is often an element of bad decision making with financed wheels. That's just the way it is. A lot of cars that get donked out are not mechanically great, safe, and sorted out. A lot of times big financed wheels get put on cars that are almost doomed mechanically, and the car is often still being paid for itself. I deal with various used car dealers and repo men regularly and hear all kinds of stories...including ones where a customer puts riyums and subs in a car just to have it repossessed and resold with those things still installed. Even at the new car dealer I work at, there was some fiasco years ago when a salesman sold a bunch of new cars with financed wheels without telling customers there were payments on the wheels, then got fired. Financing wheels is not the same as financing a necessity or something that legitimately improves quality of life. It's not a coincidence rent to own wheel stores are usually near check cashing/payday advance places.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Even at the new car dealer I work at, there was some fiasco years ago when a salesman sold a bunch of new cars with financed wheels without telling customers there were payments on the wheels, then got fired.

Epic.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Even at the new car dealer I work at, there was some fiasco years ago when a salesman sold a bunch of new cars with financed wheels without telling customers there were payments on the wheels, then got fired.

Epic.

Oh yeah, it was bad. Apparently in the aftermath the dealer was calling customers asking if they would pay for the wheels, and of course the customers said [censored] no, at which point the dealer just had to cut the rim store a check and write it off.

Originally Posted By: CoconutTelegraph
There are places local to me that will rent 2 own "rims". I'd imagine well before the time they're paid off it'll be time to replace those 35 series 26" tires.

This is a bit of snootiness.

Just about every single tire and wheel store offers either a store credit card or financing to allow you to make your purchase via payments, which is the same thing after you get to the nitty gritty of the actual financing contract, so it's not just stores "local to you".

Type in any tire chain of and "financing" and they ALL offer it.

Actually, every single dept store (car related or not) offers financing and a card.
So perhaps time to take a look around and your horse is the same height as everyone elses.

In my opinion, financing and rent to own are two completely separate things. The rent to own places I'm familiar with are likely taking 24, $200 monthly installments to pay off $2000 of "rims" and tires to a customer with poor to questionable credit simply to dress up their ride.
Taking advantage of a 18 month interest free offer at Sears to put a couple of hundred dollars worth of NEEDED tires on the wifes car is a different situation.

15 years ago I stopped in at a custom wheel/rim shop (actually cannot recall if the name of the place had 'rim' or 'wheel' on the sign) and went inside.

Nice young woman in her early 20s was working the counter and she asked if I needed help. I told here I was looking for a set of nice wheels for my Areostar van (okay, you can stop laughing).

She got a blank look on her face, thought for about 30 seconds and then said "You mean you want some rims?" They use of the different term did not (does not) bother me, but the thought gap worries me. Wheel? Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back