What new AWD car for my mom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW offer Passat and CC in upline models with AWD.

Also Acura TLX has a quite capable SH-AWD and nice comfort. I got a TLX loaner albeit 4cylinder/FWD and decent car. Amazing seats in Acura IMHO but body specifc.

Just a few more suggestions not previously mentioned already. Also Infiniti has a pleathora of choices out there. If you want AWD car so many choices now.

Originally Posted By: panther427
Ford Taurus sho in particular. ... Not cheap but not expensive.

It starts at $40k!!!!! Not sure where the not expensive comes into play.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: panther427
Ford Taurus sho in particular. ... Not cheap but not expensive.

It starts at $40k!!!!! Not sure where the not expensive comes into play.

The op stated price wasn't a major factor. If that is truly the case they would be considering Audi and bmw. Similarly equip cars from them would a8 10 to 20k more:)

Buick regal. Think they Chevrolet Impala
Vw CC

subaru legacy sedan. undesirable and can be had cheaply versus the competition.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Audi A6 Quattro.

I've seen some people complain about the seats in these. I guess one needs to take it for a longer drive and try it for themselves since we are all built differently.

Historically, Volvos have had really nice seats. Not sure about the current crop.

IMO, the problem with a lot of the AWD selection out there is, the factory tires are so horrible, they're no better in the snow than something FWD only. My 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT was a prime example of this. I had to put snow tires on it for it to be remarkable in winter time. OTOH, the factory Yokos on my Subaru XV Crosstrek are really good so far in all seasons.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Audi A6 Quattro.

Historically, Volvos have had really nice seats. Not sure about the current crop.

Current ones dont' disappoint. It's the rest of the car that's rather "meh" IMHO. But if I had the money and wanted something for longer drives, I'd have a hard time steering away from one

Really almost everyone offers an AWD sedan now, with your criteria, so probably she should just get one at a nearby convenient dealer.
Is she short? Maybe some of them are easier to see out of? Or look for a simple radio HVAC interface? If she travels to small towns a lot, maybe don't get anything European?

My mom was a taller woman but shrunk to 5' 7.5". She test drove a Chrysler 200C today. She says the seats are fine, but the car doesn't have the connected feeling her Saab has. She's going to test drive an AWD Fusion tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: JTK
IMO, the problem with a lot of the AWD selection out there is, the factory tires are so horrible, they're no better in the snow than something FWD only.

Well, no AWD car that I know of comes with winter tires from the factory, so if you're up north and really value winter traction, you'll have to buy yourself a set of winter tires, regardless if AWD or FWD or RWD.

I personally have a 2012 Subaru Legacy (3rd Subie) and with a few tweaks (tires, oil, and suspension) it totally transformed the car. As noted above just about everyone has an AWD car (Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, Volvo, Ford, Chrysler, etc.), but the difference between those and the Subaru AWD system is huge. Plus the Subaru can be had for a lot less money!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JTK
IMO, the problem with a lot of the AWD selection out there is, the factory tires are so horrible, they're no better in the snow than something FWD only.

Well, no AWD car that I know of comes with winter tires from the factory, so if you're up north and really value winter traction, you'll have to buy yourself a set of winter tires, regardless if AWD or FWD or RWD.

In Quebec, a good way to get winter tires when buying a new car, is to buy it between mid december and mid march.

Since, we are not allowed to drive without winter tires during this time... but the dealer may ask you more money for that, that is up to you to discuss the subject.

That is a good thing to do if you know the OEM tires are garbages...

My mom went to an Audi dealer today and test drove an Audi A3. She really likes it's size and ease of driving. My wife is going to do some research on the numbers for her.

The A3 is a neat little car, similar in size to my old 2001 A4. Being a new platform, it also has the new MMI, which I hear is nicer than the old MMI currently used in the A4 as well as in my wife's Q5.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My mom went to an Audi dealer today and test drove an Audi A3. She really likes it's size and ease of driving. My wife is going to do some research on the numbers for her.

That would be like the CLA250 or the C300 on the Mercedes lineup. The C class is pretty impressive these days, has a lot of available options that used to be only on the E class or S class. Even has the perfume option which was an S class thing. While German cars aren't really that well known for reliability, it'd probably be Mercedes first, then BMW, then Audi.

My mom bought the Audi A3 and came to visit today. Her car is very, very nice. She let me take it for a spin and the car is pretty darn quick. Oddly, I've fit better in smaller cars than this. I'm just under 6'3". German cars are usually pretty good at accommodating tall Germans but not the A3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back