Everyone having LED lights now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My xenon HIDs are way bright still though I think they are starting to fade a bit.. Seven yrs old now. Have to replace them at over $200 for a set of two. Crazy but really great performance. Though I get annoyed when people think I have my highs on and flash me. So I flash them back. And my high beams are super bright.

Originally Posted By: heyu
Absolutely ! Almost a hundred thousand miles between the 3 cars with HID's in halogen projectors and driving in other states no issues

The forum you posted is all about marketing to invest in whole new lenses ( projectors ), They work perfect in stock projectors

( they actually omit less light in stock projectors )

IF THEY ARE AIMED correctly It is Very acceptable modification and not illegal

Just because you haven't been stopped yet doesn't mean that they're legal. Basically what you've done is an illegal modification. Unless they're DOT approved, it's illegal. The only ones who can afford to get DOT approval are the car manufacturers so usually those lights are sold with the understanding that they're for off road use only. Just look at all the ads you see, none of them will ever mention DOT approval because they don't have it. The projectors have to be designed for the light in them and having HID in halogen projectors is basically illegal. You're probably blinding oncoming drivers to a certain extent and don't even know it.

Try this, go up to a police officer and tell them what you did and see if they write you a ticket.

I am not a fan of the LED's on cars. The running lights on the front of many new cars now just look like some kind of add on that you would buy at harbor freight.

Absolutely ! Almost a hundred thousand miles between the 3 cars with HID's in halogen projectors and driving in other states no issues

The forum you posted is all about marketing to invest in whole new lenses ( projectors ), They work perfect in stock projectors

If you go to HIDplanet.com you will find that all legitimate HID conversion from Halogen require dedicate HID projector. There is no way around it.

Many drivers with H11 projector convert to H9 with minor modification to the bulb, no driver tried HID successfully without HID projector.

………...The forum you posted is all about marketing to invest in whole new lenses ( projectors ), They work perfect in stock projectors

Wow, you are badly and spectacularly misinformed.
Read this and learn something:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I am not a fan of the LED's on cars. The running lights on the front of many new cars now just look like some kind of add on that you would buy at harbor freight.

Haha I think that exact same thing evertime I see them. Or some ghetto-rigged lighting bling kit you'd buy at the flea market.

What I don't like about LED's is how expensive they make things. The tail lights on my 14 Mustang GT are LED. They cost $1,000 to replace each tail light assembly if they get broke or eventually burn out. The cheapest I've seen them online is about $800. That is crazy. I'd be glad to keep a standard type bulb for stuff like that.

Wayne

Of God, not links to candlepower forum... Ok, its a great resource, but the mod of the automotive sectuon is a literary genius and uses his ability with language to force compliance with his own personal views. Unfortunately this has resulted in CPF becoming a bastion of dogma and not a discussion of merrits and drawbacks.

That said, LED retrofits are not "there" yet and as a result have poor lighting. Unfortunately the ability to "throw" light requires a very small emitter, like how an electroluminescent pannel can make more "light" but barely project it yet a small flashlight can put good light a fair distance away. Current LED tech can't make both high output and small emitters, and the larger emitters are of the wrong shape to use the projector.

As for HID kits, some work well, some are [censored], and it really depends on the vehicle. There are many kits installed in projectors that put out a better light pattern than factory HID projectors.

As far as legality goes, well nobody [censored] when someone puts h9's in place of h11's, but that isn't any better from a "legal" standpoint. As far as DOT certification, the DOT doesn't certify [censored]. The only certification is by the manufacture and they state that their headlight as equipped from the factory meets DOT specified light control. You could absolutely make your own headlight and call it DOT certified, help yourself. BUT, if it doesn't meet DOT designated light control then brace yourself. The same goes for swapping bulbs, you could put in a cheap 50w HID kit and have a DOT certified beam pattern, it just has to put light where it should, and not where it shouldn't. All you know is that that particular combination of bulb and optics wasn't tested by the manufacture to achieve a certain standard.

Someone in my apartment drives a Volvo Suv type of thing and they left their lights on for 20 hours a few weeks back and that thing started right up, no issues. I know it was atleast the parking lights, not sure if the headlights were on too? I am assuming that their car was equipped with LED lights.

Personally, I've always thought that the LED DRL strips/bars/swooshes were tacky, regardless of the vehicle on which they're installed. They've really gotten over the top, now, and on a lot of vehicles. I think Honda ruined its premium CR-V headlamp housing (with projectors) with these ugly LED strips. Thankfully, the lower-spec halogen reflector housings don't suffer with the LEDs.

My folks' 2014 Acura MDX is acceptable to me here -- it has five LED jewel "eyes" in each headlamp housing, and all five illuminate "dimly" for the DRL feature. The outer three illuminate at their full intensity for low beam and the inner two are added at their full intensity for high beam.

When I bought my 2006 Civic in 2011 it already had an HID light kit on it and one of the bulbs (or ballasts?) burned out on me earlier this year so I ended up replacing the lights with an LED system. They will last longer (10-15 years) and I like that they come up to full brightness instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back