Instead of hacksaw what can I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a Sterling shower door for my folks a few months ago. I followed the printed instructions inside, and everything went fine.

And yes, when the instructions suggest that you need a hacksaw, you probably need a hacksaw. The same goes for a 5/16" drill bit. There's probably a really good reason why it needs to be a 5/16" bit.

When you figure that you're saving $330 by installing it yourself, you just created a $330 budget for tools that you may need to get the job done.

Measure 3 times, write the measurement down down, and then transfer the measurement to the correct track and make one clean straight cut. Be aware that measurement for bottom track will almost certainly be different as measurement for top track. The bath opening is rarely plumb so be sure to measure exactly where the tracks will fit at both the top and bottom distances and cut to those specific dimensions on the correct track. I have seen top and bottom track measures be different by 1/2' easy.

Last edited:
A circular saw and a steady hand will give best results, you can use a 2 by 4 held with quick clamps for a prefect edge.

Another video showed that using hacksaw and miter box, the bottom channel was cut in less than 45 seconds. Original question is no longer relevant and now I am looking for tips on doing the actual installation.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am looking for tips on doing the actual installation.

1)Read the instructions twice.

2)Watch the video YOU posted twice.

3)Buy the necessary tools per instructions.

4)Don't question the instructions.

5) Grab a beer and get started.

Finally! Took three and half hours though. Cutting the lower channel was easy but the top rail took a long time. To make it perfect, I will have to move the rollers to different holes but it is good enough for a typical contractor grade job! I will have to test the caulking once it has dried completely but I don't expect any leaks.

Moral of the story? Eight and half minutes of youtube will be four hour job in real time :)

Seriously, if I had to do it again, I could do it in less than couple of hours. I do wish manufacturer had pre-installed the roller hangers or at least had provided different type of fasteners for them. You needed TWO thin and wide flat blade screw drivers to screw in while balancing the door! They could have had the rollers pre-installed to the top and could have provided nice height screw adjuster rather than the el cheapo three hole adjustment. That would have saved an hour of installation time. Now I will have to possibly remove the lower guide piece to take the doors off to change the roller position if I want to make it perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back