Films that reflect America's essence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the Detroit News columnists put together a list of 10 films that "reflect America's essence". His list:

Patriot acts: Ten films that reflect America's essence

All the President's Men
Apollo 13
Born on the Fourth of July
Captain America: The First Avenger
Forrest Gump
McFarland, USA
Rocky
Saving Private Ryan
Selma
World Trade Center

Some are based on true stories. Some are based on real events, but fictional. Some are simply fiction.

This is only a list of ten, so it's pretty limited. There are so many more that could be added.

What's on your list?

Brazilians are American, its nice to know your inclusive of all the Western Hemisphere.
But then those movies only represent the USA.

IDIOCRACY

A closing piece might be Eisenhower's farewell address warning us about the MIC. Not a movie but very real and very relevant.

Last edited:
American Psycho was said to have captured the essence of America in the 80's. Quite an underrated flick.

Who else is tired of hearing about millennials,I mean what do they do besides buy iPhones and overuse the word "ironic".

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Brazilians are American, its nice to know your inclusive of all the Western Hemisphere.

Brazilians are Brazilians...they live in "The Americas". If you don't understand the difference perhaps a class in geography would help you understand better. Check on coursera.org for free on line classes and you may find a geography class.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Brazilians are Brazilians...they live in "The Americas". If you don't understand the difference perhaps a class in geography would help you understand better. Check on coursera.org for free on line classes and you may find a geography class.

LOL!!!!
You clearly dont Understand the Name of your Country. Seriously Hilarious.
United States Of America.
United States is the name of your Country, LOL!!!!! Of America means your in the Americas LOL!!!

LOL!!!!
United States is the name of your Country, LOL!!!!! Of America means your in the Americas LOL!!!

I apologize...I see you are a Canadian. Perhaps you should look at some self esteem classes since you have some high need to criticize Americans. I have found that there is some deeply rooted sense of low self esteem in many Canadians.

I can only attribute that to the decades long term where Canadian currency was de-valuated against the US dollar at the World Bank...which unbeknownst to most Canadians gave them an economic advantage in the global manufacturing sector. Now that the Canadian dollar has risen even above the US dollar Canada is losing it's currency advantage and many manufacturing operations are fleeing Canada leaving the citizens in even worse shock and the resulting low self esteem that goes along with it.

So, if playing some semantic game about the term "America" makes you feel better...by all means have at it.

Doog said:
LOL!!!!

You are right Koz1!

I'm a US citizen and it really shocks me how many of my fellow citizens do NOT understand this fact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
IDIOCRACY

A closing piece might be Eisenhower's farewell address warning us about the MIC. Not a movie but very real and very relevant.

This...and Team America: World Police

Where is Idiocracy. I make reference to that movie daily whether is it news or people doing things in front of me.

[
LOL!!!!
You clearly dont Understand the Name of your Country.

Glad you do as it won't be long before we make you state 51.

They left out "Taxi Driver" directed by Martin Scorsese and staring Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd.

Who could forget a line like, "You talkin' to me?", by Travis Bickle.

Or, as previously posted, there is the documentary classic, Idiocracy. This film gives us a peek into what America is becoming. In other words based on government help and guidance we are right on track, headed down the road to the new America. We can all breathe a sigh of relief as long as don't complain about the bump on our neck caused by the chip.

LOL!!!!

I apologize...I see you are a Canadian. Perhaps you should look at some self esteem classes since you have some high need to criticize Americans. I have found that there is some deeply rooted sense of low self esteem in many Canadians.

I can only attribute that to the decades long term where Canadian currency was de-valuated against the US dollar at the World Bank...which unbeknownst to most Canadians gave them an economic advantage in the global manufacturing sector. Now that the Canadian dollar has risen even above the US dollar Canada is losing it's currency advantage and many manufacturing operations are fleeing Canada leaving the citizens in even worse shock and the resulting low self esteem that goes along with it.

So, if playing some semantic game about the term "America" makes you feel better...by all means have at it.

You posted to me I should Check on coursera.org for free on line classes.
So you got a response.
It sounds to me you should look in the mirror bud.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back