Why do people think 911 is a nanny service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the number of people calling 911 (an EMERGENCY number) for trivial things like their neighbor mowing the lawn while they're trying to sleep at 2PM has increased constantly and greatly in the 21st century. Why do people use 911 as an "I'm offended/slightly annoyed, come help me" service? Is it because no one is ever fined for misusing the service so people just like to push it as far as they can until they get told to stop?

Here's some breaking news: 911 isn't for you to use when you miss mommy making scary things go away

Well, I know of two frequent fliers at work who got to wear special bracelets for abusing 911 (though that didn't happen overnight, or even over one year).

Originally Posted By: whip
People are stupid.......

Well, yes......But the real problem is that people are entitled. Growing up getting a trophy, win or lose, for every sporting event, many feel that life is supposed to be whatever makes them feel good.

People are stupid.......
That is a polite description.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
People are stupid.......

Well, yes......But the real problem is that people are entitled. Growing up getting a trophy, win or lose, for every sporting event, many feel that life is supposed to be whatever makes them feel good.

both points are true.both stupid and entitled people come from stupid parents.

my favourite 911 story -- earlier this year, we heard on the Detroit area news that a woman called 911 because mc d's didn't have the item that she wanted on the menu.hopefully,she has not produced any stupid little ones.
have a good day, all.

People have been trained to call 911 when you want the police. It's much easier than fumbling through your phone or phone book looking for the station ph#.

Quote:

Why do people use 911 as an "I'm offended/slightly annoyed, come help me" service? I

Cleary, by the OP, is what BITOG is for.

Last edited:
By me , the police cars don't have any other number for you to call. You have to go online to find a number to dial directly to talk to someone at the police dept. Seems they want it that way for any calls.,,

We don't have much of a problem with nuisance 911 calls here in Canada.

Is it because our stupid people are smarter than your stupid people? Naaah. It's because our stupid people understand that nuisance 911 calls are a Criminal Code Offense ... Equivalent to a Felony in the USA.

Note: there is no misdemeanor option for a plea bargain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
The dumbing down is an epidemic that only Darwin can cure.

Sadly, lawyers and lawmakers have done everything in their power to stop Darwinism. We'd have a lot less stupid people if we stopped putting common sense warnings on everyday products. If a person is dumb enough to use a lawn mower to trim shrubs, let them. If they lose an arm, hopefully the opposite sex won't find them as attractive and they have fewer chances to procreate.

Because there is no such thing as a moron vaccine.
However, the cops could help the situation by promoting and putting the non-emergency # on the side of their vehicles,IMO, instead of some of the gnarly graphics they seem to like to display.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
The dumbing down is an epidemic that only Darwin can cure.

Eventually, yes. Humans have been able to use technology to overcome this, but it will only be effective for so long. You and I won't live to see it, though.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
By me , the police cars don't have any other number for you to call. You have to go online to find a number to dial directly to talk to someone at the police dept. Seems they want it that way for any calls.,,

Same here. They make the non emergency number almost impossible to find and some departments only have the 911 number for the public to use. I happen to know my towns regular # by heart so I can call it when needed but for many 911 is the only number they have to call.

Last edited:
10% of the population use 90% of the govt's resources.

As a former patrol officer, you really have no idea how much of the general population are utter, complete, incompetent imbeciles. During a 12 hour shift, 8 hours of it is dealing with silly non-sense and 1 hour dealing with real problems, and 3 hours of drive time.

People seem to be losing the American spirit, where people problem solve, use critical thinking skills, and learn to solve problems themselves. It's an epidemic and only getting worse. Just call the govt and they will come solve your most miniscule problems for you.

Bubba, that is one of the most depressing things I have read in a long time, however, I agree with you. These days, if you are able to solve problems and are handy you are called "resourceful" and become the go-to guy for everyone you know while at the same time being totally shunned by your corporate employer because you're not "with the program."

Truly a sad time period for those of us who are individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back