Ram Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I would like to hear from current and past '09-'15 Ram 1500 owners. From what I've read, the newer ones are even better than the first examples of this generation truck. I'd like to hear your likes, dislikes, and if you'd buy again. Thanks.

I just picked up my 2015 Ram this past tuesday so I can't really comment much yet. It is definitely a much better riding truck than my 2004 Silverado and has lots of power. Mine has the 65RFE transmission and it shifts smooth as glass. Can't comment on any dislikes yet!

I'm looking at a Tradesman (I think that's what it's called) 1500. Stripped model with the 5.7, 8 speed,and four wheel drive. I've read some really good things about the Rams.

While I usually support Chrysler products and cant stand GM,I must say I have my reservations about the RAMs.Many reported transmission issues,early bed rust,electrical glitches (that darned TiPM that Chrysler wont admit is flawed),not to mention FIATs desire to sell off FCA as a whole to God knows who...will parts be around in 5 years? Spend $40K on a short term paperweight? For all of Ford's recalls lately,I would still go with a F150 with 5.0 V8.Ford as a whole isn't going anywhere,and GM and that cronie Mary Barra (who's been there for 32+ years) is dodging responsibility all they can for killing hundreds of people with those lovely ignitions they "authorized".They bragged of only 13 deaths for some time...its over 100 now and still counting..

I have a recently purchased 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 & can say easily that's its the best truck I have ever owned & I have driven all of the domestics & imports at one time or another!

Been in the market for a new pickup. I am really disappointed with whatI have looked at . The Ram for example uses a zf tranny impressive tranny! But the ATF is at a rip off price and the filter pan combinations price is heart stopping to say the least. So the Ram is a no go. Toyota,,, seems an idiot designed how to check the ATF level so an automatic tranny is a no go. GM quality and personal hate makes GMs a no go which leaves Ford. I am debating.

Ford has (as always) the poorest fuel economy (real world, not EPA). May as well get the v8 if you're going that way.

Overall vehicle weight is very close between all three. Ford's "700 lb" claim is compared between a 2014 F-150 with the V8 to 2015 F-150 with the V6. Compared to GM 1500 its 80 lbs lighter, and a bit more for the RAM 1500.

Diesel is a good option depending on where you live. Here every station has Diesel at the pump. In winter the price difference eats any fuel consumption advantage but in summer it's slightly cheaper than gas.

Other thing in Diesel's favor is fuel consumption doesn't change, empty, full, tow, whatever.

A heads-up about diesel and auto trans ... In freezing rain you cannot keep the driven wheels from spinning (i'm talking cruise at 30 mph) due to the torque. Just park it until the sand crews or warm weather arrives.

RAM has the best JDPower score of any Chryco or Fiat, includin Jeep. F-150 isn't great , GM a bit better. Then RAM.

Check out "the fast lane trucks" on YouTube . Plenty of mash ups pitting GM vs Ford vs Ram etc. The "Ike gauntlet" tests are pretty revealing.

I'm addicted to low speed torque, so turbos for me - that means Ford takes home the prize. I thought the 1500 Ram diesel would be cool until I saw TFLT tackle the Ike with the Ram diesel.

I picked up a brand new 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi 8spd 4x4 April 2nd of this year. I was initially hesitant due to reliability with Chrysler products in past years but it was the one I wanted so I gave it a shot.

I drove a Nissan Frontier, Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra and a Ford F150 and I chose the Ram. If I had not bought the Ram I probably would have bought the Frontier. I did not try the Nissan Titan because of the estimated 17mpg city.

I am only in the early stages of ownership (3800 miles) but so far I love the Ram. I have seen quite a few past Rams with rust but only time will tell about that and reliability.

If I had to change something it would be the horn. It is almost like it doesn't react right away and then it last longer than you want after letting go. Don't know if it is the same with all the Rams or just mine.

We've got a Dodge 1500 crew cab at work. I think its a 2012. When we first got it...I was so happy. Nicest "company" vehicle I have ever driven. One thing I noticed - it seemed very underpowered. Its got the 4.7L V-8 engine...and it has a hard time getting out of its way unless you floor it and make it downshift. It is possible that my 5.7L Toyota Tundra has me spoiled in the power department.
wink.gif

It's had some problems:

* At a few thousand miles, the transmission indicator on the dash started blinking and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. Dealer had to rebuild/replace several parts in the transmission that I don't recall. (high pressure pump?)

* At ~15,000 miles, the airbag light came on. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong and "cleared the light."

* At ~15,500 miles, the airbag light came on again. Back to the dealer. They replaced a clockspring and some other airbag parts.

Interestingly - we were loaned a new Dodge 1500 crew cab with a V6 engine. Which one, I can't recall. It was much more lively and had more power than ours with the V-8. Odd.

* Now at 16,000 miles, the airbag light is back on...and then goes out...then back on...then goes out. Something seems to be loose, as I can hit a bump and it comes on or goes off. Guess its got to go back to the dealer.

If this was my personally-owned vehicle, I'd be a wee bit cheesed. I've never experienced a new vehicle that has had this many problems. If you add up the problems I've had with the '07 Tundra (118,000 miles) and the '02 Lancer (130,000 miles) I think it would still be less than this Dodge with 16,000 miles.
frown.gif

thanks,
ben

Originally Posted By: CT8
Toyota...seems an idiot designed how to check the ATF level so an automatic tranny is a no go.

I totally agree! I really wonder what sort of dope the engineers were smoking when they eliminated the dipstick.

thanks,
ben

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Originally Posted By: CT8
Toyota...seems an idiot designed how to check the ATF level so an automatic tranny is a no go.

I totally agree! I really wonder what sort of dope the engineers were smoking when they eliminated the dipstick.

thanks,
ben

It is stupid--but the fluid is cheap, and its not that hard to change fluid. Even I managed to change it. Since mine did not come with the buttons for mog readout* I installed a Scanguage so I have real atf and engine temps, along with mpg data.

[Turns out for under $100 I could install the buttons and the missing wire in the dash for the missing mpg readout. But I already had the SG.]

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I just picked up my 2015 Ram this past tuesday so I can't really comment much yet. It is definitely a much better riding truck than my 2004 Silverado and has lots of power. Mine has the 65RFE transmission and it shifts smooth as glass. Can't comment on any dislikes yet!

I thought the 6AT was gone? Regardless, good luck with the new truck.

I've just started looking around. I looked at a new F-150, and this Ram. I also am pondering poo canning the truck and buying a Charger SE or SXT, but I really think I'd regret not buying a truck. I actually use one, so it would be sorely missed. At any rate, the truck will be low trim level. I like the fact that Ram offers a bare bones truck with a powerful V8, and also the 8 speed. A Ford or Chevy would be a V6. I haven't driven one yet. not quite that far along yet.

I've been driving a friend's 2013 quad cab hemi powered Ram powerwagon for a few weeks now. Impressive machine.

It starts pulling so hard at ~3800 RPM it is quite shocking for a 6800 Lb truck.

Not fun putting fuel into it, especially when getting up to 4500 RPM here and there when the road and traffic permits.

I am not used to where the transmission decides to shift when driving conservatively. That is my only 'complaint' and one I'd get used to with more regular driving.

It does run crustier than I expected when still cold.

My Same Friend's previous 4x4 base model, but hemi powered Dodge went 240K miles and only repair required was a Sensor.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

I thought the 6AT was gone? Regardless, good luck with the new truck.
Nope, they still offer the 65RFE in some models.

I just built two trucks on Ram's website. Both are '15 Ram Tradesman 1500, with regular cab, four wheel drive and the 8' box. One was a 3.6 V6 with the 8R45FE and the other a 5.7 V8 with the 8HP70. Both trucks in Blue Streak Metallic. Any thoughts?

What are you going to use it for? I have seen Fords have a lot of problems, in fact some people say Ford stands for fix or repair daily.

I read somewhere that the 8 speed tranny in the Ram is the same that is used in a $400,000 car. If true it must not be too shabby.

Mostly commute to and from work, which is about 5 miles roundtrip 5-6 days a week. This truck will be worked though, maybe not as often as some, but when I use a truck I USE it. Of course it will see some out of town trips. I expect 12k miles or better in a years time. I was considering using either M1 0W-40 or RT6 5W-40 and follow the maintenance minder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back