Diabetic Rib Rub

Status
Not open for further replies.
My rib rub and sauce is loaded with sugar. Have a diabetic neighbor coming over. Anyone have a diabetic friendly rib rub recipe?

My wife has type 1 diabetes. I'm guessing your neighbor has type 2?
My wife can eat anything she wants. She adjust the insulin for it. Don't worry about your neighbor. It's NOT the sugar, it's the Total calorie count and calories from fat that matters in messing with your neighbors blood glucose. Those ribs are full of calories and fat to begin with.

I don't use any processed sugar in anything that I make.

Just toss together some paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and thyme and you should be able to come up with a decent rub.

I'd start with about 1/2 cup of paprika, and do the rest in the following percentages of the paprika:

15% cayenne pepper
30% black pepper
35% garlic powder
15% onion powder
10% oregano
10% thyme

That should give you some decent flavor layers. If you had time you could tweak the quantities, but this would be a good base to start with. Smoked paprika would also work well.

Mind the heat of the cayenne pepper. If you buy it from bulk spice sources you can get higher heat (90K or so). The store bought cayenne pepper is usually around 30K-40K and that's what my recommendation is based on. If you have the higher heat cayenne pepper drop the percentage down to 6 or 7 percent, otherwise you'll dominate the flavors with heat.

Thanks. I have no idea what type of diabetes; didn't ask.

Pop' (or anyone else), do you have a sweet recipe? Are sugar substitutes any good?

As you can tell, I know nothing about diabetes until I become one, which will be inevitable with my current diet. Got two apple pies for desert. Guess the neighbor don't get desert.

I don't think they'd eat enough sauce to cause a problem, but I am not diabetic but when i eat ribs I think I consume max 1/8 cup of sauce during the meal.

But you guys BBQ differently in 'Murica lol!

If I wanted to add a layer of sweetness, I'd just smoke them on cherry or apple. However, it shouldn't be hard to come up with a honey glaze with which to finish them. I don't have (nor will I ever have) diabetes so I don't know if your guest can or cannot have honey. You might ask them what is acceptable and cook some ribs tailored to their dietary needs.

"Sugar substitutes" are just downright disgusting, not to mention the health issues associated with them.

A very small amount of honey, maple, or agave should add a bit of sweetness. Just keep it to a minimum.

Agave syrup can be used. It is almost pure fructose, which doesn't cause blood sugar spikes. It's not, overall, super healthy because it affect triglycerides, but for the purposes of this exercise it would work just fine.

I agree 100% pop rivit... Smoking the ribs with cherry wood, apple wood and or hickory is a great call there. I use hickory a lot with my beef and pork ribs
smile.gif

Oilchanger .. Didn't know you were a BBQ cooker ?? That's awesome.
Also I hope you have a great 4th today. People like yourself, my dad, and two grandfathers who served this country are the ones who make this nation free
34.gif

Thank you and you're welcome. I live smack dab in the middle of three major tourist-ridden apple orchards so I smoke with lots of apple wood and cherry. I would BBQ/smoke every day if I had the time. I have the technique down, I just don't know how to serve a diabetic.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree 100% pop rivit... Smoking the ribs with cherry wood, apple wood and or hickory is a great call there. I use hickory a lot with my beef and pork ribs
smile.gif

Oilchanger .. Didn't know you were a BBQ cooker ?? That's awesome.
Also I hope you have a great 4th today. People like yourself, my dad, and two grandfathers who served this country are the ones who make this nation free
34.gif

That's the basis. I like to sauce 'em up, but they're not for me. I think I'll just put a little of honey and molasses on 'em.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper makes some fine ribs without the sugar.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
A very small amount of honey, maple, or agave should add a bit of sweetness. Just keep it to a minimum.
Sugar is sugar and Agave is just like high fructose corn syrup bad stuff.

Thin coat of sunflower oil,

Rub with Old Bay Blackened, Old Bay Low Sodium,
Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle, or Mrs Dash Spicy...

A large coffee can of charcoal briquettes, hot, on one side,
ribs wrapped in foil on the other,
tuck the wet smoker chips in between on the side.

Lid on tight, vents 3/4 closed...
Once an hour, add half can of charcoal...
Around 3 -5 hours, meat should be 180+

Realize that sugar is carbon, and turns into such after spending enough time over hot coals. So its use in dry rub will not have the same effect as its use in sauce added to ribs AFTER they come off the grill.

...unless the major ingredient in your dry rub is sugar! Many store bought ones are mostly salt & sugar with a (tiny) bit of paprika thrown in for color. That's why I always make my own.

34.gif

I eat an extremely low carb diet. Generally shoot for a 30 carb per day limit.

For powdered use like dry rubs, I use Truvia. It's stevia (a plant extract) mixed with erythritol (a very low GI suger alcohol as a carrier). Most sugar free sweeteners use dextrose or maltodextrin as a carrier so you may as well use sugar if not using Truvia.

For liquid sweetener I use concentrated liquid stevia.

Originally Posted By: tstep

For powdered use like dry rubs, I use Truvia. It's stevia (a plant extract) mixed with erythritol (a very low GI suger alcohol as a carrier). Most sugar free sweeteners use dextrose or maltodextrin as a carrier so you may as well use sugar if not using Truvia.

Sugar is carbs.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: tstep

Sugar is carbs.

Yes sugar is carbs, hence read the ingredients list on the sugar-free sweeteners and make sure dextrose or maltodextrin is not listed since they are sugars.

Sugar alcohols are a category of sweeteners which vary from 0.2 to about 3 carbs per gram (sugar being 4 carbs per gram) that generally provoke much less of an insulin spike than normal carbs. Some are nearly identical to sugar so be informed. Erythritol provokes the least insulin response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back