BP settles all oil spill claims for $18.7billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ccap41
3.19 million barrels of oil were spilled.

Interesting facts.

The oil was spilled into a 643 quadrillion gallon bathtub (12 quadrillion barrel eqiv.).

Or the oil spilled was 0.000000026% of the gulf's seawater volume.

Mississippi deposits that much water (3MM gallons) into the gulf every second.

In the Gulf of Mexico, there are more than 600 natural oil seeps that leak between one and five million barrels of oil per year.

Just putting the leak in perspective.

What is the actual cost to BP ?

The article states that "The agreement covers U.S. Clean Water Act fines and natural resources damages, along with claims by Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas and 400 local government entities...

even as it increased its cumulative pretax charge for the disaster by about US$10 billion to US$53.8 billion
"

and "BP would have still faced years of lawsuits to address claims by states and by the federal government under a natural resources damage assessment."

The disaster costs BP more than $53.8 billion so far ?

Originally Posted By: Danno

Interesting facts.

The oil was spilled into a 643 quadrillion gallon bathtub (12 quadrillion barrel eqiv.).

In the Gulf of Mexico, there are more than 600 natural oil seeps that leak between one and five million barrels of oil per year.

Yes but into how much water.

The spill was 3+ million barrels, not 3 million gallons.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The spill was 3+ million barrels, not 3 million gallons.

lol

Interesting facts.

That's a typical anti environmental anti intellectual argument. The earth is so large that everything we do to poison it dissipates to a negligible level. So all is good.

The USA needs to sue them for damage to the gulf. That hasn't been paid out yet. What's that worth? More money than exists on the planet.

What really ticked people off was the initial smug response
of BP.
This is what I got out of it; "what is the impact a few poor shrimp boat owners going to have in the big scheme of things?"

Or "You poor people living along the coast don't mean squat to me".

Are you going to go under the water with a submarine and plug up all the places where oil is seeping into the Gulf of Mexico??
smile.gif

That said, I do feel that BP should have paid serious damages to the coastal communities affected by the New Horizon spill.
Longer term problems really is lack of balance with our planet. Too many people needing dwindling resources is a huge circumstance looming.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Are you going to go under the water with a submarine and plug up all the places where oil is seeping into the Gulf of Mexico??
smile.gif

Of course you believe that oil company propaganda. Show me one picture of an oil seep.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
smile.gif

Of course you believe that oil company propaganda. Show me one picture of an oil seep.

There's a couple here
http://www.whoi.edu/oilinocean/page.do?pid=51880&tid=201&cid=54634&ct=362#

Although that's more than one, so you'll probably counter it as not offering what was asked for.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
smile.gif

There's a couple here

Although that's more than one, so you'll probably counter it as not offering what was asked for.

Its a picture of something floating in the water. Where's the underwater Pict showing oil coming from the ocean floor.

Whether you like it or not.... Oil is a natural phenomenon that this planet has produced for millennia. It does occur in nature that it does rise to the surface at times just like magma.
The fact that we humans have engineered a way to unlock its energy potential is a great blessing that has greatly aided in quality of life in many aspects on this planet for human beings. The plastics we use are arrived from a oil derivitive oil base. Next time your world championship self is in a hospital remember to thank goodness for that fact. Sterile IV lines, IV bags of fluid, and syringes are available due to the oil base they are derived from. This sterility helps ensure that infection spread is greatly reduced.
Oil products and derivitive products are vast in quality. If people like yourself hate them so much then live what you believe and go back to the late eighteen hundreds lifestyle. I would greatly respect anyone who chooses to be consistent with that.
Now that all having been stated.. I CERTAINLY agree that there is a balance to nature and this planet that should be maintained. We are approaching a real point of problems related to being out of balance. Too many people with too few of natural resources. With more waste byproducts that also is having a negative effect on this planet has well. This is no bueno. And going to come to a real tipping point at some point in the future.

Well I think that is an illogical and just terrible argument. And the oil companies can't bother to get a picture of the actual seep?

Oil companies aren't exactly being run by intellectuals.

There's a couple here

Its a picture of something floating in the water. Where's the underwater Pict showing oil coming from the ocean floor. [/quote]

There's a bar at the top of the photo with numbers on it turtlevette, you can click on those numbers, and get another picture.

And under those pictures, they explain what they mean, like "bubbles of methane and oil", and "Gas chromatograms of oil sampled off Santa Barbara revealed individual compounds in the oil (the red peaks). Chromatograms from the surface slick oil (top) and the seafloor sediments (middle) show nearly an exact match of compounds, confirming that the oil in the sediments comes from natural oil seeps"

Or you are really being intentionally obtuse.

Well you can go ahead and ignore reality that MANY products you use everyday have petroleum derivitives in them. That is a incontrovertible fact of how much this product is used. So attempt to go back to the prior time before petroleum based products were used in a widespread fashion. It will be a very different lifestyle for sure.
How much oil seeps out of the ocean floor may be argued in quantity. But it does happen enough that it is certainly noticeable.
Also, I did not buy Exxon gas hardly ever due to the Valdez incident. I've been driving over twenty years and have rarely purchased their gas. I do not buy BP gasoline anyway. But I will not do it now for sure due to this incident in the Gulf. You do vote with your dollar on issues like this.
And for the record ...my lady and I do recycle even though our neighborhood does not have pick up for it. Which does seem rather strange to me given how many people live all around this area. We drive about eight minutes away to Jolly Pond center to do this.
I do agree with my friends on the other side of the spectrum that our increasing consumption along with higher population and dwindling resources is a real concern that we should get some strong ideas of how best to proceed forward
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back