New Hustler - Owner's Manual Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now I think my questions are:

What viscosity (synthetic of course)? I am leaning toward 5W-30, so that I don't have to buy a different oil. If that is not advised, I think 10W-30. I know, no real difference. I just can't see it needing a 40...

What filter? Specifically with a matching bypass and same size as the Kawasaki filter. I am a Wix fan. Puro has lost my respect. Fram isn't on my good list, but I will be trying my 1st Ultra on the SS on my next change. Just looking for easily accessible, quality filters. If that means the Kawa, then so be it.

Tony - Here is a thread I created a while back, asking the same question about Filters.

Lots of good answers, plenty of choices, and a variety of price ranges. I ended up going with a Fram XG3614, but I tend to over-do stuff like that anyway.

I use a 5W-40 HDEO since it's an air-cooled engine and it's summer, also a 40-weight is shown on their 'recommended' chart on page 12 of your engine's manual. No reason a standard 15W-40 wouldn't work, but since I use T6 (or DELO 5W-40) in everything else - I only have to buy one grade of oil. lol

Hope this helps, man.

Last edited:
Do you really belive that wrong grade will sieze OPE engine?
smile.gif

OPE will run on anything that lubricates......thats why I understand "Kawa" tech response
smile.gif

Isn't the 3614 an oversized filter? I am looking for the EXACT same size. I don't want myself or my mom (she may end up doing her own maintenance, she's awesome like that
smile.gif
) to have to guess on how much oil to add.

Just trying to keep it simple.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Isn't the 3614 an oversized filter? I am looking for the EXACT same size.

The Fram 8170 (and Napa 1056) is roughly the same size as the Kawasaki filter.

So now I think my questions are:

What viscosity (synthetic of course)? I am leaning toward 5W-30, so that I don't have to buy a different oil. If that is not advised, I think 10W-30. I know, no real difference. I just can't see it needing a 40...

We run 15W40 or 5W40 in them down here. Briggs engines seem to prefer synthetic 10W30 from what I've seen, Kawasaki engines LOVE a 40 weight.

I do over 100 oil changes a year on power equipment and I wouldn't consider anything but 5W40/15W40 in your engine. Period.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
100 hours seems awfully long for a small engine/sump. Generally I would stick with the engine manufacturers recommendations but I would look into it a lite further before committing to that long of an interval.
My Briggs 12.5HP single cylinder calls for 50 hours with NO oil filter and a 1.5qt sump... Maybe 100 is extreme with conventional oils, but I would think a full syn would handle it...?

Thanks for the input.

Service intervals do not change when choosing between conventional and synthetic. Synthetic has the potential to last longer than conventional but it has to be verified with UOA.

In a car, sure...

OP: Please, don't throw away the money for a UOA in a lawnmower

The point is that you simply can not extend intervals just because you have switched to synthetic. Obviously a UOA on a small engine is a bit of a waste.

The point is that you simply can not extend intervals just because you have switched to synthetic. Obviously a UOA on a small engine is a bit of a waste.
Agreed. But who said anything about extending intervals? I was simply stating the recommended interval and that I think a synthetic would perform better for the same duration.

My mom just bought a new Hustler mower. 23HP Kawasaki, 52" deck, $2999. Awesome rig. She has turned to me for care and advice. There are several oddities, but one stands out. It came with a Hustler manual that states to change oil at 40hrs. There was also a Kawasaki manual, which called for 100 hours. What gives?
21.gif
It has a filter and 2.2qt sump...

Also, The mower accepts a range of oils from 5W-20 to SAE40 (with SL being the most recent spec
33.gif
) . From what I understand SAE30/10W-30 is ideal. I'm not a fan of SAE30/40. I am using a full synthetic 5W-30 in my Briggs, and it is specifically labeled acceptable. Neither of the manuals mentions synthetics at all, much less any being acceptable. Is there any reason not to use a full synthetic 5W-30 here as well?

Last, what filters are good (and preferably cheaper) besides the Kawasaki. No junk filters, just looking for easier availability (Wix?). Cross-referencing this filter has been confusing so far. Thanks in advance!

I got a Gravely ZT XL 48 3 years ago with a Kawasaki FR730V engine. I hear what you are saying have the very same thoughts. I don't care for straight weight oils, but i can understand why people use then, because its cheap and it won't shear like conventional multi-weight oils will. There a lot of people on here that like diesel rated oils. I sometime think when it comes to motor oil recommendations for small gas engines, it seems there baseness with the engineers. Kawasaki did not recognized the use of synthetic oils in there engines like B&G did. I went out on a limb and used 5w30 synthetic oil in my Kawasaki. Bought some when Advance Auto were running a specials. Also, just remember your newest API ratings are backwards compatible, so I wouldn't worry about using the newest rating. I have used a Purolator PureOne PL10241 and a Mobil 1 M1-102 oil filter. You can use these numbers to cross reference if you have the room for the filters. If not, Lawn_Care gave some good advice. Just remember it will take a little more oil for a larger oil filter. If your concerned about warranty, I would use a 10w30 synthetic oil if you want to go synthetic. Use whatever auto oil filter that works since Kawasaki gives no specs. on what oil filter to use. I pretty sure your mom's new mower has the maintenance free Hydro Gear transmissions. When I bought mine I got the ones that weren't, cost more, but I least have some that I can change the oil. I used 15w50 synthetic in my Hydro Gear ZT2800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back