People Buying Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of these people buying fireworks actually know what July 4th 1776 is all about?

My guess is most of them are buying fireworks for the fireworks.

July 4th last year we were in Flagstaff Az. (Married a year on June 25th)

While we were on the road, we bought and let off fireworks.

Left all the leftovers with moribundman (or so we thought).

Arrive in Hawaii, and my wife's case had been well and truly ransacked by customs/TSA...nothing was missing, or so we thought.

Caught our son sneakilly looking through the pockets to find the fireworks that he'd decided to keep.

They are following John Adams suggestion

Quote:

I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How many of these people buying fireworks actually know what July 4th 1776 is all about?

I suspect you're probably correct.

I think that buying and lighting off fireworks is fatuous.

A lot of people in Illinois do know what this is all about. That is why a vast majority of Illinois citizens purchase their fireworks in other states (Mo./Ind.) and bring it home ignoring the draconian laws and celebrate independence from the 3rd worst State in the union.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Is there anything besides sitting around that you do like to do?
do you have fun of any kind?

There are things i don't care for but if they bring other people enjoyment, i don't pee on their fun.

Years ago , parents taught there children this phrase. " If you can't say something nice, don't speak at all"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

There are things i don't care for but if they bring other people enjoyment, i don't pee on their fun.

Years ago , parents taught there children this phrase. " If you can't say something nice, don't speak at all"

-fun-governor-where-the-good-times-stop-8817c.png

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
They are following John Adams suggestion

Quote:

I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

Thanks, good quote.

Half way into looking up:

shew/verb
old-fashioned variant spelling of show.

It dawned on me what the word was and now I have a better understanding why Ed Sullivan called it "A really big shew!".

Our founding fathers were incredibly wise. They laid a solid foundation for a country, perhaps not perfect, but good, very good, and constantly evolving towards the better.

Last edited:

We celebrate American Independence Day on the Fourth of July every year. We think of July 4, 1776, as a day that represents the Declaration of Independence and the birth of the United States of America as an independent nation.We celebrate with fireworks,family and friends.

Alot more fun then complaining on an internet forum IMO.

While I continue to vote at every election, I just don't get excited at every Memorial Day or July 4th as use to. It is still important to thank every veteran for what they did, but to think what has become of this country is frankly too depressing to have that overwhelming patriotic feeling I once had. At the risk of getting booted, I'll leave it at that.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
While I continue to vote at every election, I just don't get excited at every Memorial Day or July 4th as use to. It is still important to thank every veteran for what they did, but to think what has become of this country is frankly too depressing to have that overwhelming patriotic feeling I once had. At the risk of getting booted, I'll leave it at that.

I understand what you are saying. All i can respond with, is this;

Illegitimis non carborundum

Last edited:

Pops ain't happy unless he can make somebody else unhappy. From swilling too much rotgut wine, I assume.
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Most of those buying and setting off fireworks here are the ones living in government assisted housing.

Likely it's how they can afford the fireworks to begin with.

You're certainly welcome to ignore my posts if they rub you the wrong way and my opinion doesn't agree with yours. And by the way, parents taught "their" children that phrase, not "there" children. Just like parents taught "their" children to spell and that "I" should be capitalized when used as a reference to one's self.

And I still think fireworks are fatuous.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Pops ain't happy unless he can make somebody else unhappy. From swilling too much rotgut wine, I assume.
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

right now, I can hear fireworks off in the distance, in the Detroit area.pop would be flippin' out about now.

don't mind pop, you guys -- that's just the way he is.at least he's not raggin' on you for watching t.v., smoking, paying for cable, leasing a car, etc.
personally, I find his posts funny.
it could be worse. you could be living in his house, and be his sons.what a fun life that would be.
take care.

I always LOVED those small bottle rockets you could buy back in the 70s. They had that long skinny red stick with the rocket/firecracker propulsion thingy at the top. They were really cheap too,we'd always buy they by "the gross". We'd have wars with them haha. I remember they banned them here in the 80s I think. Don't know if they ever made a comeback or not.

I don't buy 'em, but I do like to watch 'em...

Happy Independence Day!

P1010880-3.jpg

You're certainly welcome to ignore my posts if they rub you the wrong way and my opinion doesn't agree with yours. And by the way, parents taught "their" children that phrase, not "there" children. Just like parents taught "their" children to spell and that "I" should be capitalized when used as a reference to one's self.

And I still think fireworks are fatuous.

It's not that they rub me the wrong way, it's just that you do have much to offer, such as your posts on cooking and smoking meat. But you blow it with the pompous attitude. Your posts could drive away newer members. I won't put you on ignore because i value some of the information you share, i just hate to see you kill your image with the attitude.
That's all i will say about this post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back