Oil recommendations for my BMW 335is running E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, an e85 thread! I wish my Solstice GXO (Turbo) was flex fuel capable. I can add the sensor to my G8 and get a tune to read it (full flex fuel, not stuck with e85) but its been shown in these NA cars it serves no purpose.

Penzoil Platinum or Ultra is my choice, or of course M1.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Alcohol also burns cooler. The guys who run it at the track never overheat. Never.
E85 is a great track fuel. Octane over 100,fairly cheap,no pre-ignition issued at all if tuned properly.

This is why true enthusiasts desperately want it to proliferate. I wish I could get it close by. I have to drive 45min to put it in the vette and it runs fine without rejetting at light load. At cruise you can go extremely lean with no damage. I was able to get the same mileage as e10 because of that fact.

Maybe we could finally get all the haters here to understand.

I completely agree !!

Wolf359

Loc: MA
E85 has less BTU's per gallon than E10 so you'll get about 2/3 the mileage of regular gas. So in order for E85 to be cheaper than regular gas, it should be 2/3 cheaper at the pump.

Not true, either... Many of these gentlemen quote the 1/3 less BTU, 1/3 less mileage line. Seeing how engines can take more timing, it has oxygen in its' makeup, the cooling aspect of it, etc.. Any true scientific thinking person that stops to think about this (if they are even educated about it at all ) would know that this isn't a perfect formula - the variables and real life just don't support these claims of poor mileage on that 1/3-2/3 BTU only ratio !

BurrWinder

Thanks for the input guys and good discussion on E85. I will probably try both the M1 0w40 and Motul x-cess 8100 5w40 and get reports on each. Sounds like the M1 will be the most economical.

Any input about Blackstones method of testing fuel dilution or should I look to other labs?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
What is "roll racing"?

But anyway, it sounds like you are being careful about tuning your engine. Is the .87 lambda number targeted everywhere on the fuel map, or only above a certain MAP? You can run 1.0 at light loads, and it would decrease the possibility of fuel dilution.

As for oil, I would recommend some kind of SN-spec 40 weight. M1 0w40 or PUE 5w40 have the same HTHS. Your oil temps are in a good range, so I don't think you need anything over 40.

As mentioned, roll racing is starting from a roll, like 40mph-60mp up to 150 or so. Easier on the drivetrain than launching from a dig (dead stop) and is actually a better test of which car is more powerful as dig racing is all about tires and launch.

The Lambda is scaled based on load and RPM. I actually run leaner than 1.0 in a good portion of the low RPM range. Essentially a lean cruise. Helps with mileage a little bit. Our fuel system is closed loop and has factory wideband 02s. My fuel map looks like this:

RI2dC8C.jpg

Originally Posted By: musc
Any input about Blackstones method of testing fuel dilution or should I look to other labs?

IIRC, they guesstimate it based on flash point, but many other labs do the same. I can't remember off the top of my head which labs actually tested for fuel content.

How much fuel did Blackstone report on your UOA in the past?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: musc

IIRC, they guesstimate it based on flash point, but many other labs do the same. I can't remember off the top of my head which labs actually tested for fuel content.

How much fuel did Blackstone report on your UOA in the past?

This will be my first time testing. I just remember reading it wasnt that accurate (where someone sent to two labs and blackstone reported <0.5 and the other lab was like 2). I have BMW dealer 5w30 Castrol in it now and will be getting an analysis on it soon with around 6k miles.

^I had that suspicion...thanks for clearing it up.

That's not to say it isn't a good oil however...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back