A Sensible Question for Gun Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
The 2nd Amendment was written in case the American citizens needed to protect themselves and their property from a tyrannical, imperial, power crazed government..bandits were an added plus.

That made sense when the gov't had the same weapons the citizen had.

Not so much any more.

Changes nothing. Yes, the gov has more powerful weapons. But they are controlled by AMERICANS who generally have a disdain with using them on other Americans. Not to mention a lot of freedom loving Americans will only take so much trampling on their rights before they say enough is enough.

Yes it does seem really far fetched that our govt would become tyrannical overnight. The reason it is so far fetched is that there are 300 million guns in the USA and 100 million gun owners.

Build a time machine and go back to Germany in 1925. Ask a Jew how feasible it would be that their own govt would be marching them off to their death within 15 years and they would look at you like you had two heads. They would absolutely think you are crazy. Crazy things can happen in a span of 15 years or less.

Yes tyranny really seems far fetched. But you dont know what the world will look like in 10, 20, 50, or 100 years. Things change. The LAST DEFENSE against tyranny is the gun. Period. You can argue till you are blue in the face, but you would still be wrong.

The US is "a republic, if you can keep it" - Ben Franklin

If you don't like guns, don't buy one. If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. If you don't like large sugary drinks, don't buy one. If you don't like tobacco, don't use it.

I really am saddened by the large number of people that want to dictate how others live their lives. I don't know what is best for other people, and other people don't know what is best for me.

I can say that having the ability to own guns and carry them has saved my skin from being stabbed during an attempted robbery, and my wife (at the time) counted her blessings she could own an AR15 when she fended off a home invasion when I was away on a hunting trip once.

The second amendment is an enumerated right, it is not a right granted by government. The Bill of Rights was not a list of rights granted by government, it was a list of individual rights that they government could not take away.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

The second amendment is an enumerated right, it is not a right granted by government. The Bill of Rights was not a list of rights granted by government, it was a list of individual rights that they government could not take away.

No. It's one of the amendments to the US Constitution. It, like any other one, can be repealed.

For an amendment to be proposed or repealed, it requires two/thirds of both federal legislative bodies — House and Senate — to vote in the affirmative (two/thirds in the House, two/thirds in the Senate). It also requires two/thirds of the state legislatures of the 50 states to vote in the affirmative.

That is very difficult to do. In fact, it was only done once. When the 21st repealed the 18th.

Whether it should be or not is one question. But it *can* be. Very, very, unlikely, but it can be.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We need to continue to set up "gun free" zones. Most if not all of the current mass shootings have occurred in those designated zones so the system is working. That is, a shooter knows where to go to shoot people where there will not be any citizens shooting back. Our politicians know everything about taking care of such problems are they are always correct because they are experts. All you have to do is give up your gun knowing that the system will protect you and take care of you. What could possibly go wrong?

Another "Hurricane Katrina", thats what could go wrong"!

Originally Posted By: Trajan
For an amendment to be proposed or repealed, it requires two/thirds of both federal legislative bodies — House and Senate — to vote in the affirmative (two/thirds in the House, two/thirds in the Senate). It also requires two/thirds of the state legislatures of the 50 states to vote in the affirmative.

That is very difficult to do. In fact, it was only done once. When the 21st repealed the 18th.

Whether it should be or not is one question. But it *can* be. Very, very, unlikely, but it can be.

Ah the good old days. A constitutional amendment to prohibit alcohol and then a constitutional amendment to allow alcohol.

What does this have to do with firearm cleaning, lubrication or maintenance? All it's doing is inflaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back