Delcotron 10DN alternator....highest factory amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Just picked up a car that uses the old 10DN external regulator "delcotron" alternator. I was wondering if anyone knows what make, model of GM car came with the highest output 10DN alternator? And what that amperage is.

Just would like to upgrade to a bit more output while maintaining the OE look under the hood. I know there are some high output aftermarket ones, but I am on a bit of a tight budget and I can get a deal on a lifetime rebuilt.

Last edited:
As far as I know there were 3 outputs on the 10d alternators. 37a,55a,and 61a. Most of the rebuilders in the 80s built them to the 61a spec. Why not put a 10si back end on your 10dn front housing? you would have a internal regulated alt. I did this on a 65 corvair which uses a 10dn alt with a weird mounting foot.

Good advice. You can run an SI without getting away from a stock look. All of the harness is there. Swap connectors at the alternator, bypass your old external regulator. You can still leave the regulator in for looks. Went this route on 4 of my late 60's early 70's cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back