Replica Wheels for Honda Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on getting replica wheels off ebay for my 2010 Honda Civic? They are the same style as the OEM wheels but just not the real deal.

I have been looking on craiglist and civic forums for almost a year and have not found what I want. Plus the replicas are well priced at ~$450 a set and will obviously have no curb rash or other damage that used wheels will have.

I drive the car like an old grandma so there is little concern of the wheels being over stressed. I just use it as my daily driver.

Thanks!

I get oem or nothing. Sometimes I have to wait a while but have never had a problem finding them.

Why not just get OEM wheels from online dealership such as G1parts.com. They have free shipping for $150+.

Replicas are a recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Why not just get OEM wheels from online dealership such as G1parts.com. They have free shipping for $150+.

Replicas are a recipe for disaster.

Because they want nearly 4x the money per wheel.

I found couple-year-old OEM Civic wheels to replace the OEM steelies, with tires that lasted a little more than a year, for $450 total.

The risk may be low, but how bad will it be for you and others around you if you hit something in the road at speed and the possibly poorly cast wheel(s) fractures or, worse yet, shatters and comes apart?

There are never any 2009-2011 civic EX wheels on craigslist in my area(twin cities). I have been looking almost everyday for a year.

Does any one have first hand experience with replica wheels? Not just what they heard or read.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
There are never any 2009-2011 civic EX wheels on craigslist in my area(twin cities). I have been looking almost everyday for a year.

Does any one have first hand experience with replica wheels? Not just what they heard or read.

I know a few people who have got them...for a 2011 Civic and 2013 Fusion, and have no issues.

But as others have said, it is still a toss up....

How about looking for OEM's from down South? Not in the rust belt. Maybe Texas? And no, I don't have any experience with replica wheels. But I would really prefer to have OEM's.

Replica wheels... No way! They are made using cheap gravity castings which will result in cracks or dents much more easily. I've also seen replica wheels with awful finishes, the salt will kill them. The fitment issues come up sometimes but is still a huge concern since sometimes the replica manufacturers want their wheels to fit multiple models.

You should be able to see lots of negative experiences with a Google search, most likely showing broken wheels and ruined finishes.

If you aren't performance oriented driver and just after looks than it's OK. They will be heavier than OEM steelies, but so would OEM alloys.

I tried in the past to find the OEM alloy wheels for the 2010 Fit Sport to put on my car but people seem happy with them, never found any for sale.

At this point I have new 15" tires so I am not looking anymore as I'd need new rubber again.

But man, hard to find!

I think aftermarket there is an excellent brand called Enkei... Stuff like that invites people to steal your car though.

I'd try to find oem wheels. I know its just my taste but i almost never like how aftermarket wheels look. And i never buy a used car with after market wheels.

Here is a site with good information on aftermarket wheels.

http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_guide/tp/The-Top-5-Toughest-Aftermarket-Wheels.htm

The original equipment wheels on my BMW are BBS. Great wheels. The original equipment wheels on my Honda Accord are Enkei. Great wheels too.

My BMW winter wheels are Mille Miglia. They're pretty good wheels.

My Accord winter wheels are Sport Edition. They haven't dented but the paint has more or less come off and the alloy has corroded badly. I don't think they're even worth refinishing.

I found the link long after I bought those Sport Edition wheels.

I have some experience with replica wheels but on European cars and it is in the fairly distant past.

They are like almost everything else, there is good and bad...

If you can get the seller to tell you the actual manufacturer you may be able to track down more of their reputation.

The particular wheel you speak of 42700-SNA-A93 appears to be made for Honda by Enkei and appears to be available at about 25% off of retail from all the usual suspect Honda parts sellers. So you'd have about 225 each in them plus lugs and center caps. For twice as much you'll likely get twice the wheel quality wise.

http://handa-accessories.com/ also sells a Honda accessory wheel that is less money and is likely to be high quality.

Enkei makes aftermarket wheels and Tire Rack list some that fit your car.

Best of luck.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Replica wheels... No way! They are made using cheap gravity castings which will result in cracks or dents much more easily. I've also seen replica wheels with awful finishes, the salt will kill them...

About 9 out of 10 wheels made today, both oem or aftermarket, are made using "cheap gravity castings..." Most wheels are gravity cast, some are low pressure cast, a few are cast then roll formed, and a very small number are forged.

Decent wheels are not cheap. Oem wheels tend to be stronger, but heavier, with durable finishes... (usually...!)

Strong... light weight ...cheap. Pick only TWO...!

Another place to look for oem wheels is the wrecker. You can often find 2 or 3 decent wheels from a totalled car. With a little work, you can usually put together a set of 4. There are hundreds of wrecked Civics out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back