2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Eneos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't think there's a definitive way of saying that the biggest contributor by far to fuel economy is oil viscosity. Independent of the GDI ( which the Mirage doesn't have ), the biggest fuel saving elements on my subcompact ( as documented by the manufacturer ) are the EPS and the "smart" alternator...both of which will provide greater fuel savings than what grade of oil I'm using.

The Mirage has a variable displacement oil pump that matches the oil flow with the needed oil pressure. This reduces the parasitic load on the crankshaft and may ( in the right circumstance ) give you the same fuel savings as going with a lower grade oil. Tires and a lower drag coefficient of the car might even offer more fuel savings than dropping an oil grade. It's not exactly a static environment.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Completely
32.gif
..... thank you for not shining your dash.

LOL!

+1

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Personally, I don't think there's a definitive way of saying that the biggest contributor by far to fuel economy is oil viscosity. Independent of the GDI ( which the Mirage doesn't have ), the biggest fuel saving elements on my subcompact ( as documented by the manufacturer ) are the EPS and the "smart" alternator...both of which will provide greater fuel savings than what grade of oil I'm using.

The Mirage has a variable displacement oil pump that matches the oil flow with the needed oil pressure. This reduces the parasitic load on the crankshaft and may ( in the right circumstance ) give you the same fuel savings as going with a lower grade oil. Tires and a lower drag coefficient of the car might even offer more fuel savings than dropping an oil grade. It's not exactly a static environment.

The point I was trying to make about viscosity is that a person is NOT going to get fuel economy differences between different brands of oils, unless those brands are of appreciably different viscosities. It runs about 1% fuel economy benefit for every 2 cSt you reduce on the KV100 figure, about that much, as a rule of thumb. Friction modifiers play a small role too. Thats not much to notice, given all the other MPG variables dominate.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss

What about cleanliness? if say you have 30g of deposits per cylinder, that would in theory take more energy to move than a cylinder with, say 8g of deposits. Also, the new Shell Vpower nitros+ has 7x the detergents of that required by the EPA. For a fuel to be "Top Tier" it must have a minimum of (I think) 2x the EPA mandate. So again if the valves are cleaner, it would take less energy, be easier to cool thus making it more efficient. The new shell vpower also claims to have friction reducers in it which would again make things more efficient. I think the argument could be made that oil, fuel and filter will affect gas mileage. Oil affects cleanliness, friction, and heat. Fuel affects cleanliness, friction and wear (according to shell), and different oil filters have different flow rates (which a lower flow rate would require more effort to pump oil), different filtration (If you have particles big enough to see bouncing around in your engine vs something as small as a blood cell, that would affect the amount of friction and heat your engine is dealing with.

The differences between oil filters are very tiny. I've seen flow resistance charts, and the engine won't react much at all to differences between brands. You do make good points though about reistance-energy concepts. Also, if the rings are gummed up, then yes, some extra friction is probably there. A good oil is supposed to keep you clean there. Fuel injectors should be clean too, and I guess the assumption is the car is in working order with nothing gummed up.

Today i looked over a friends '15 Mirage since this thread has it fresh on my mind.... nice vehicle. I actually like it alot. For $12,000, i have no complaints and he's getting 40mpg combined!

That is the place I found sustina for 13.60 per quart shipped. they don't include shipping price with that first listed price.

Originally Posted By: alex16
That is the place I found sustina for 13.60 per quart shipped. they don't include shipping price with that first listed price.

I don't know what the [censored] I was thinking. facepalm

I researched the RP oil filter this is what RP claims on autozone website...

100% synthetic micro-glass media for superior particle removal with

99% filtration efficiency at 25 microns

A high-performance silicone anti-drain back valve that prevents dry starts, even in extreme conditions

An extra heavy duty rubber base gasket that ensures a leak-free seal
Ultra-strength filter housing endures higher burst strength than conventional filters

This is what the mobil filter says

Get maximum engine protection from Mobil 1 extended performance oil filters. Tests prove Mobil 1 extended performance filters are 99.2% efficient at removing harmful contaminants before they reach vital engine parts. They provide 2x more dirt holding capacity than other nationally advertised brands. The durable, heavy-duty filter canister withstands 9X your vehicle s normal oil system operating pressure. Mobil 1 filters meet or exceed OEM fit, function, quality and performance requirements.
Synthetic fiber blend filter element uses advanced technology for maximum cleaning power
Patented bypass valve system (where required) insures oil flow during cold starts and pressure surges
Premium lubricated filter gasket provides a tight seal and allows for easy removal
Heavy duty filter canister withstands 9X the normal vehicle oil system operating pressure

The mobil website says the 99.2% is at 20 microns which would put it better than the RP at smaller particles.

You worry too much about this.
As long as you give it oil in spec with what the factory says you will be fine.

I researched the RP oil filter this is what RP claims on autozone website...

100% synthetic micro-glass media for superior particle removal with

99% filtration efficiency at 25 microns

A high-performance silicone anti-drain back valve that prevents dry starts, even in extreme conditions

An extra heavy duty rubber base gasket that ensures a leak-free seal
Ultra-strength filter housing endures higher burst strength than conventional filters

This is what the mobil filter says

Get maximum engine protection from Mobil 1 extended performance oil filters. Tests prove Mobil 1 extended performance filters are 99.2% efficient at removing harmful contaminants before they reach vital engine parts. They provide 2x more dirt holding capacity than other nationally advertised brands. The durable, heavy-duty filter canister withstands 9X your vehicle s normal oil system operating pressure. Mobil 1 filters meet or exceed OEM fit, function, quality and performance requirements.
Synthetic fiber blend filter element uses advanced technology for maximum cleaning power
Patented bypass valve system (where required) insures oil flow during cold starts and pressure surges
Premium lubricated filter gasket provides a tight seal and allows for easy removal
Heavy duty filter canister withstands 9X the normal vehicle oil system operating pressure

The mobil website says the 99.2% is at 20 microns which would put it better than the RP at smaller particles.

Yes the M1 will filter slightly better, yet its paper-glass mixed media won't hold as much dirt as RP before clogging. Actually Fram Ultra equals the M1 filtering efficiency, and also has the dirt loading capability of the RP one. Ultra wins.

My engine has not gone over 3400 miles between oil changes (9400 miles currently) and I will not extend my OCI past 7k miles so I shouldn't have any clogging issues.

My engine has not gone over 3400 miles between oil changes (9400 miles currently) and I will not extend my OCI past 7k miles so I shouldn't have any clogging issues.

If you buy an M1 oil filter, remember they are overpriced for what you actually get. The Bosch Premium, Fram ToughGuard, and M1 are all about the same filtering media, so get the one that is cheaper amongst those 3.

You could buy the cheapest oil from the dollar store and the car will probably last just as long

Nick1994 you have posted the same replies to my thread multiple times. I understand you don't think my car is worth putting the best in, that is well noted and I thought I made it clear I was looking to use the best I can find & afford.. This is my thread and my car so if you want to waste everyone's time please do it else where.

I'm going to try sustina with a oil temperature and pressure gauge to see how it performs with a black stone test after 7k. I might also try redline 0w20 next summer.

Last edited:
Actually that post had nothing to do with your car, it meant basically every car. Basically any car will run just as long with dollar store oil.

Nick1994 you have posted the same replies to my thread multiple times. I understand you don't think my car is worth putting the best in, that is well noted and I thought I made it clear I was looking to use the best I can find & afford.. This is my thread and my car so if you want to waste everyone's time please do it else where.

I'm going to try sustina with a oil temperature and pressure gauge to see how it performs with a black stone test after 7k. I might also try redline 0w20 next summer.

The definition of "best oil" can be found here

Personally, I think you'd be well served to try to find out what seems to work well in the Mirage versus a particular oil that you're enamored with because of it's specs or cost...or whatever. A previous poster mentioned Pennzoil Ultra as working well on his 2015 Mirage and cited some reasons. Are there the same reasons for Eneos or Redline?? No problems in trying them but sometimes anecdotal information from experienced users of the car can lead you to the "best" oil for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back