which brand 1911????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wanting a Delta Elite (10mm) and a Gold Cup for a while...fan of the 1911 platform...fan of the .45 ACP and the 10mm...but college tuition keeps getting in the way of adding to my collection...

Originally Posted By: Doog
Well I ended up getting a SAR K2P 9mm. With all the reviews I have seen and under $300 I couldn't pass it up.

I hope it meets your expectations. I think these prices are subsidized/introductory prices so they will go up once the brand gets established in the US.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Hmm... Maybe I SHOULD get a Colt, especially in light of the current situation at Colt.

But I almost certainly couldn't get as much gun for the $$$ with Colt. Instead, I'd be paying for the name.

Colt released a statement stating that production would continue despite the filing and that it is pretty much business as usual as far as availability of products. However, just about any Colt will likely appreciate in value, but if you get a Colt for an investment it is best to keep it a safe queen.

Yeah, not looking for a safe queen.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Been wanting a Delta Elite (10mm) and a Gold Cup for a while...fan of the 1911 platform...fan of the .45 ACP and the 10mm...but college tuition keeps getting in the way of adding to my collection...

You know you can't shoot full-power 10mm loads out of a Delta Elite?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Well...that's disappointing....

Colt certainly doesn't mention that anywhere!

Apparently it doesn't have a fully supported barrel. When I've bought ammo from Underwood Ammunition for my Glock 20, some of it will have a note by it that says "not for use in Colt Delta Elite".

You pretty much can't get the original, full-power 10mm ammo anymore except from boutique ammo makers like Underwood, Buffalo Bore and Double Tap, to name a few. The stuff on the shelves is loaded to .40 S&W spec.

I have some Underwood stuff - it's a 180-gr. Gold Dot @ 1300 FPS, as advertised by Underwood.

The inferior MIM argument is a lot like the guide rod argument with Glocks. A steel guide rod is stronger, but the plastic one does the job. If a steel guide rod doesn't improve the gun, is it better? If MIM parts do the job, are they inferior?

Originally Posted By: whip
If MIM parts do the job, are they inferior?

My point exactly. Today a lot of people think they're getting something they're not. MIM has been vilified all over the Internet by people who regurgitate what they hear, and no nothing about metallurgy. It's much the same with the whole cast vs. forged argument. Ruger investment casts all of it's rifle receivers. The Model 77, #1 single shot, Mini 14, all cast. When is the last time anyone ever heard of a Ruger receiver letting go?

I remember when Bill Ruger was alive, he took a Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Win. Mag. and decided to perform a test with it in front of some media guests. He took a Hornady 500 FMJ bullet, and pounded it into the rifling with a mallet and a wooden dowel. He then filled a .458 Win. Mag. case to the top with Bullseye Pistol Powder and chambered it. They tied the gun to a rest along with a string to the trigger. They discharged it from a safe distance behind a protective barrier. The gun did not explode.

They had to pound the action open, and the stock and forend were split. Ruger estimated chamber pressures went as high as 100,000 PSI+. The point being is what difference would it have made if it were forged? None what so ever. It's much the same with MIM. If something can withstand horrendous overkill over what it was designed for, what is the point of manufacturing it from something different for the sake of arguing it's "better"? When it's already "better" than it could ever possibly need to be?

Thanks John - I've got a few hundred rounds of Buffalo Bore 180 JHP for the G20. I shoot other brands for target practice, but have run a few hundred rounds of the Buffalo Bore through the G20 to know that it works.

Heard of Glock Kaboom, so I don't shoot reloads in any of my six Glocks.

Didn't know about the Delta Elite chamber.

If you can't shoot full pressure 10mm, why buy that gun? You're better off with a .40...same exact bullet and performance as a de-rated 10mm...but with cheaper ammo and better capacity....

The Delta Elite 10mm guns have another weak point. They brake the barrel links with full power loads also. The swining link was just not designed for that violent of a cartridge.

If you want a 1911 that is amped up then you could look into a 460 Roland conversion OR you could look at the Coonan 357. The Coonan however is heavily modified so not all 1911 parts will work in them.

If your considering a Delta (or actually a 1911 at all) you should do some research on an actual 1911 forum, because there are a couple on this thread that know what they are talking about and a whole lot repeating internet rumor and innuendo...

FWIW I've shot all sorts of ammunition out of my Delta including original Norma loads with no signs of over pressure or case stress. Several people load ammunition for 10mm to higher velocity than 10mm short (40). I'm not suggesting that you run ammunition in a Delta that the manufacturer says you shouldn't but to suggest a Delta can't handle a "full-power" load is absurd.

Colt doesn't build guns with ramped barrels - period.

Every single 1911 that I've owned with functional issues has had a ramped barrel, I no longer have any of those.

As for paying for "the name" and the MIM issue. It all depends on perspective and how you place value. MIM can be fine, and Colt does use some. What they do use is nicely finished and of high quality just like the rest of the stuff they use.

Shooting full house 10 MM loads in a 1911 Delta Elite is like shooting full house .44 Magnum loads in a older model S&W Model 29. You can do it. But if you do it for long problems are going to start. The gun simply isn't strong enough because of it's design. The 10 MM was built around the Dornaus & Dixon Bren Ten Pistol..... Not the 1911.

When S&W brought out the Model 29 in .44 Magnum, many were shooting loose after only a few hundred rounds of the then super hot factory Remington loads with the 240 Gr. Lead Gas Check bullets. I still have some of those loads from the early 70's, and NOTHING compares to them loaded today. Not even Buffalo Bore or Garrett loads. It was much the same with the 10 MM. It didn't take long for companies to start loading it down for legal reasons. Now it's been reduced to a .40 S&W load. Not much more. Shooting todays 10 MM loads in a modern Delta Elite is the equivalent of shooting a slightly hopped up .40. Nothing more.

well I finally got my SARK2P 9mm....very impressed so far. Very tight fit and no wobble or play in the slide at all. Easy to disassemble,double spring,SS guide rod, ss barrel,firing pin block with manual ambi safety. No decocker though. You can carry it at 1/2 cock with the safety on or cocked and locked much like my old Browning hi-power.

I'll clean & lube it this weekend and go run 100 rounds through it. But for $292 you can't beat it.

The only negative is the advertising stamped on it.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Originally Posted By: Doog
Well I ended up getting a SAR K2P 9mm. With all the reviews I have seen and under $300 I couldn't pass it up.

I hope it meets your expectations. I think these prices are subsidized/introductory prices so they will go up once the brand gets established in the US.

I agree. They are trending up from a few months ago.

I remember when the Delta Elite first came out. My buddy and ex-navy pistol team shooter bought one. Just into the second box of ammo, the slide cracked.

Back to Colt for a new slide. The first box of factory ammo did that one in. Back to Colt again.

A couple of months later, he finally got it back. When he wasn't looking, I taped a toy parachute to the slide. I don't think the pistol side of the range fired a shot for 15 minutes we were laughing so hard. He sold the gun.....

A cousin has a GI style Rock Island & he likes it .

I bought a like new stainless Tisas ( Turkish ) a little over a year ago . I like it .

God bless
Wyr

I don't know if anyone posted it already but Arsenal af2011
grin.gif

.90 caliber high-capacity 1911 (double barrel, holds two mags for 14+2 capacity, fires two .45 rounds at a time)
grin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tEYcUSQDyw

Originally Posted By: linksep
I don't know if anyone posted it already but Arsenal af2011
grin.gif

.90 caliber high-capacity 1911 (double barrel, holds two mags for 14+2 capacity, fires two .45 rounds at a time)
grin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tEYcUSQDyw

Ultimate squirrel hunting pistol. Like watching all his videos of slow motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back