Planning Ahead, Would Appreciate Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been thinking about this all day. Not knowing the future status of Defy 10W-40 as of right now, I'd like to have options for a 40 grade to use in my Dakota. Clevy will already know my current dilemma, and for the rest of you, here it is. My Dakota is an '03 model SLT 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 and automatic transmission. It currently has 234.5K miles on the clock, and consumes oil at the rate of 1 1/2 quarts per 4K mile OCI's. It takes 6 1/2 quarts of oil, and for the last 2 OCI's it's gotten Defy 10W-40. I've just added a can of Liqui-Moly MoS2 and personally, I think it's an unbeatable, affordable combination. Now, as stated above, I don't know the future of Defy, especially 10W-40. This stems from 5w-20 now being SN/GF-5. If, to my despair, they were to discontinue the 40 weight, I'll be in need of a replacement. Now, my gut says just pair the MoS2 with QSAD 10W-40, and that is a very likely choice. I also consider M1 HM 10W-40, RT6 5W-40, ML 10W-40, and PYB/PHM 10W-40. All would be paired with the MoS2. Now, the replacement will be a 40 weight, and I know the consumption issue is mechanical aging, not PCV related. Just putting that last bit out there.

Either Maxlife or PHM in the 10W-40 grade would be a reasonable alternative.
Either would likely yield lower consumption than does Defy.

Maxlife always seems to do a good job, if you could get that in 10W-40 it would work well.

Also, ML has no moly in it, so pairing it with the MOS2 would not be excessive.

I've actually had good luck with the Defy curbing consumption, as it's down from 2 1/2 quarts with QSGB 5W-30. I'm more concerned with wear, and Defy 10W-40 has 1,200 ppm of ZDDP. That paired with the MoS2 Leaves me feeling better about wear protection. I don't mind adding some oil, as it freshens the add pack over the course of the OCI. I have seen where Maxlife and PHM are touted to do a better job of curbing leaks and consumption.

Addy, I know Wal-Mart carries Maxlife in 10W-40, as does AAP. I'd actually like to have some moly, and Defy and PHM have it. Of course that's not a deal breaker. I've only used Valvoline a few times, three times WB and once VSP.

I'll say go with Pennzoil hm 10W40. Being a Sopus product it's probably closest to the 10W40 Defy.

I'd be tempted to stick with a QS variety, anyhow. I wonder if the regular QS 10w-40 does have a bit higher phosphorous than the ILSAC grades in the first place, considering it's allowed to. Of course, that doesn't mean it will. Maybe there's a VOA around here somewhere. I can't find one doing a quick search, but that doesn't mean much.

I'm well aware of the recommended grade, and ran it for two OCI's. Garak, I'm not sure about higher phosphorus in the Green Bottle 10W-40, but I know the GB 20W-50 doesn't even list SN. It says "meets SM and older specs", or something like that. I'd probably just run GB 10W-40 with a can of MoS2, if I was going to keep the truck. Now I'm seriously considering replacing it early next year. I have about 21 or 22 quarts of Defy 10W-40 left, and the truck will probably see two more changes before it's replaced. The remainder I'll use up in my grandmother's Caravan.

Would those 10W40 motorcycle specific engine oils work
for your application?
For example, Canadian Tire had Castrol 10W40 MC GP on sale
for about $5.00/L last week.

Separated from my stash, I bought a few liters of it
for lawn equipment.

I would imagine being SG, it would have around 1350 ppm zddp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't imagine it would hurt. Honestly, I don't really believe there is much of a difference in oils, aside from non detergent and detergent.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I don't imagine it would hurt. Honestly, I don't really believe there is much of a difference in oils, aside from non detergent and detergent.

The major difference, as I understand it, with motorcycle oils is that the motorcycle oils do not have any, or have very little, friction modifiers in them.

In many motorcycle configurations, the engine and the trans share the motor oil, so the friction modifiers found in automobile motor oils would end up screwing up the clutch and create major problems in the transmission.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Garak, I'm not sure about higher phosphorus in the Green Bottle 10W-40, but I know the GB 20W-50 doesn't even list SN.

At least that product has the option of having the higher phosphorous content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back