1999 Honda Accord Starter Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone- I hope this is the place to get an answer to my problem. Yesterday my car wouldn't start (1999 Honda Accord LX), it sounded like the Starter wasn't engaging. So I looked and saw it had cracked just beneath the hole where it bolts to the car on right side. Got it home and removed it figuring it was a defect in the material since it was a Remanufactured Starter? O'Reilly is not honoring the limited lifetime warranty stating it cracked because it was not installed properly and that is not covered by warranty. Be honest, is it possible that a Starter would crack because it wasn't put in right, if so, what is the reason. On the other hand, couldn't the material be defective and crack after a year's worth of driving on it. Thanks for your help.
cry.gif

If the starter was slightly crooked into the bellhousing & then the 2 bolts were tightened all the way, one at a time, it's possible to crack the housing because the bolts weren't allowed to walk the starter flush to the bellhousing

To be honest, I would say it would be very unlikely to crack were you say it did unless it was mounted incorrectly by you or a PO.

That is a good answer. I had a guy who was/is a mechanic put it in and I trust he installed it right. He's well known for doing a good job, but I suppose it's possible. He also did my alternator and a few other things which fixed it each time. I have fixed my own cars all my life but I don't know the little ins & outs or things to not really do. I would think that if he did do it wrong it would have cracked sooner than 14 months. Thanks for your input. I guess I know now when I do get another one, what not to do.

I'm going back to the one I bought it from tomorrow, they were out of stock yesterday. The thing is the person who decided it was installer error acted like I knew that and I was trying to scam them or something. Not the case. I honestly saw what happened and immediately thought of a defect in the metal. Thanks for your answer.

If the engine kicks back or sometimes just a misfire on startup will break the reduction drive. Another thing to look at is what size mounting holes are used . The standard Honda/acura starter 1.3w uses 8mm mounting bolts. The 1.6w starter uses 10mm mounting holes . If you use the 1.6w starter where it is not called for the starter will shift and break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back