WM and CT store-brand 5W-40's...weird to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, recently, both Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart in Canada have brought out store-brand 5W-40's.

CT's is obviously 'Formula 1 Synthetic' 5W-40 - It says that it is A3 rated, but makes no other claims about performance specs it meets, it seems it is just a 'generic' Euro-style syn oil.

Tonight, at Wal-Mart, I saw that they now have a 5W-40 - called 'Tune It!' 5W-40 full-synthetic oil. It on the other hand, says it is an A3 oil, but also says it meets (don't remember the EXACT term) MB 229.1; VW 502/505(?) .... anyway, it actually lists some Euro specs.

Weird that such an unknown oil as Wal-Mart 'Tune It' would got to the trouble of listing Euro specs...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Tonight, at Wal-Mart, I saw that they now have a 5W-40 - called 'Tune It!' 5W-40 full-synthetic oil. It on the other hand, says it is an A3 oil, but also says it meets (don't remember the EXACT term) MB 229.1; VW 502/505(?) ....

Well, that's actually kind of important whether it says "meets" or "recommended for." I don't recall seeing any oil called "Tune It!" on the official MB oil list, but it could be just because it's new.

A true BITOGer takes detailed pictures of any new oil he finds in the store.
smile.gif

Seems like a great idea. A lot of people are going to go in to walmart and try to find the cheapest oil that meets the spec for their European car. The cheapest will be Supertech / Tune It and that's what they will buy!

Tune it is Canadian supertech I believe, which is rebranded citgo, wpp, the other Warren etc. If meets actual spec probably OK, many will buy if only "recommended
".

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Seems like a great idea. A lot of people are going to go in to walmart and try to find the cheapest oil that meets the spec for their European car. The cheapest will be Supertech / Tune It and that's what they will buy!

People who buy the cheapest oil bother to look at the spec? I thought they went by viscosity, and if it was synthetic if they wantd to go for a long oci of say 5k.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
Tune it is Canadian supertech I believe, which is rebranded citgo, wpp, the other Warren etc. If meets actual spec probably OK, many will buy if only "recommended
".
Isnt the Canadian version a recycled oil, something like Safety Kleen? I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: SLATRON
".
Isnt the Canadian version a recycled oil, something like Safety Kleen? I could be wrong.

it was the last i knew.... but i'm not in the great white north..

Canadian Tire oil is usually made by Shell Canada. Walmart tends to source products locally if they can. These two products appeared at roughly the same time so maybe they're both made by the same company? Shell?

The WM 'Tune-It' oil, AFAIK, is still made by Safety-Kleen. They collect and re-refine oil into conventional and synthetic (group III, obviously). It disappeared from the shelves of WM for a few years, and is now coming back.

A while ago, WM synthetic oil was made by Petro-Canada, and some of it might still be - it's hard to tell. I suspect it is a combo of the two, because I'm not sure S-K has the resources to produce enough to satisfy the whole WM Canada demand.

CT oils used to all be made by Shell, BUT now some are made by Castrol...if you look at the bottles, there are two different shapes of bottles, and the 0W-20, 5W-40, and 5W-50 all have 'Castrol' style bottles, and are made by them. The rest are Shell.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I'm going on record and calling it a monumentally stupid idea, unless Walmart sells it in 5 gallon pails at the same price they sell their other grades. For Canadian Tire, it's stupid no matter what they do.

In a normal jug, neither Canadian Tire nor Walmart will be able to compete with Delvac 1 or Rotella synthetic from the Imperial Oil and Shell distributors, respectively. CT and Walmart Canada want as much for conventional as I pay for Delvac 1.

The only thing this is going to do is lead people astray from M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 and 5w-40 on the same shelves when they should be buying those products, or away from the appropriate Delvac 1 or Rotella products, also on the same shelves.

Canadian Tire puts one of their oils on sale almost every week. If I wanted a euro 5W40 synthetic, I'd just wait until CT put theirs on sale. There is usually no cheaper way to buy oil here in Toronto.

Originally Posted By: Garak

In a normal jug, neither Canadian Tire nor Walmart will be able to compete with Delvac 1 or Rotella synthetic from the Imperial Oil and Shell distributors, respectively. CT and Walmart Canada want as much for conventional as I pay for Delvac 1.

I saw your post in the Infiniti/Nissan thread I started (thank you for your reply there). Where in Regina can Delvac 1 be found?

You will find it at Marsollier Petroleum, the local Imperial Oil distributor, at 1990 Inland Drive, just east of Ipsco/Evraz. It's on the north side of Inland Drive. You just walk into the main door, turn right into the office, tell them what you want and pay for it, and pick up the box at the warehouse loading dock in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back