Disk Brakes Hanging on Passenger Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2001 PT Cruiser with 2000,000 miles. The rotors on the passenger side run hotter than the rotors on the drivers side, about 50 to 100 degrees F.

I put in a new caliper on the front passenger side but it did not improve the situation. Any suggestions? (I'm thinking perhaps the brake lines are defective on that side).

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rfeir
We have a 2001 PT Cruiser with 2000,000 miles. The rotors on the passenger side run hotter than the rotors on the drivers side, about 50 to 100 degrees F.

I put in a new caliper on the front passenger side but it did not improve the situation. Any suggestions? (I'm thinking perhaps the brake lines are defective on that side).

2 million miles! Holy cow!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I'm not sure if you're joking, but he clearly meant 200k.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
At 200k change both flexible brake hoses. I've seen similar problems.

Yes, change that. They can come apart inside and restrict the fluid from returning to the master cyl. causing the caliper to keep pressure on the pads.

You could have a stuck caliper on drivers side that won't apply but yet somehow springs home okay.

I assume you've pulled the pads and made sure their little tab ears aren't swollen with rust and having mechanical interference issues.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
At 200k change both flexible brake hoses. I've seen similar problems.

Yes, change that. They can come apart inside and restrict the fluid from returning to the master cyl. causing the caliper to keep pressure on the pads.

Changing flexible brake hoses at 200k miles interval is needed ?

My '94 LS400 with 370k miles has original brake hoses, no problem that I can detect the last time I flush the brake fluid. The hoses were flexible and clean brake fluid came out bleeder valve.

Likely a deteriorated or collapsing rubber line as mentioned. They are cheap to fix. I would also put as much fresh fluid into the system as possible if you have not already. About ever few years I suck my master cylinder reservoir near bone dry and top it off with fresh fluid.

Last edited:
+1 on the hoses, it's time. When you replaced the caliper did you crimp-off the hose to prevent fluid loss? That's might've finished it off.

I like to push a good amount of fluid out of the hose while it is disconnected from the caliper during a swap. A lot of [censored] can settle in the end of the line and you wouldn't want that pushed into your new part. Refill the master cylinder reservoir regularly.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

...you're joking...

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back