HELP - Used car LOF - oil confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 2000 Avalon with about 50k. The paperwork says the last oil change was with "Mobil 5w30 Drive Clean" oil. I have no idea if this is conventional or synthetic - I called Mobil and even they didnt know. So the question is, do I go synthetic or conventional here? I dont want problems and this is one of those Toyota sludge engines.

Anyone know if that oil was synth or conventional? Either way, what do y'all recommend?

Wow, I don't think that oil is even still sold anymore. As far as I know, it was replaced by Mobil Super some time ago.

Having said that, as I understand it, it is conventional. Good oil, though.. and should be good for 5k miles, if not longer, depending on how the car was driven and otherwise cared for. I'd also have a look at what filter was used and go from there.

Originally Posted By: tqmshirt
I just got a 2000 Avalon with about 50k. The paperwork says the last oil change was with "Mobil 5w30 Drive Clean" oil. I have no idea if this is conventional or synthetic - I called Mobil and even they didnt know. So the question is, do I go synthetic or conventional here? I dont want problems and this is one of those Toyota sludge engines.

Anyone know if that oil was synth or conventional? Either way, what do y'all recommend?

Drive Clean is/was a conventional oil. if your Avalon is a 1MZ-FE, I would suggest a good synthetic on a relatively short OCI (like 7500 miles). Keep your PCV valve clean too.

Drive Clean hasn't been sold for a while now.

+1 on the PCV valve cleaning. I have the same engine in my 98 Sienna. I would remove the front valve cover to check the condition of the sludge. I use full synthetic on my 98. Currently using Pennzoil Platinum.

If the condition of the engine under the valve cover is pretty good, then you don't need to worry about sludge.

I would also look at cleaning the Idle Air control valve while you're at it.

I think they sell a bulk oil just called "Mobil clean". It's also possible that the computer spits out "Drive Clean" for any bulk oil change despite what's actually in the tank.

I take care of 2001 Lexus RX300 since it was at 35,000 miles. When new it was changed with bulk conventional Pennzoil by Lexus. I changed the PCV valve. Pretty dirty. Started using Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra to help with cleaning. This last oil change Mobil EP. Oil is staying cleaner now. At 55,000 miles shows no sign of sludging or oil consumption. I would definitely go with synthetic next oil change and check/change PCV pronto.

Last edited:
Nobody really knows which big name-brand full synthetic you find at Walmart is really the best to use. Any will do. I'd go full synthetic. I prefer either Mobil1 Extended Performance, or Castrol Edge Extended Performance, 5w-30 for the Avalon.
Fram Ultra best oil filter to use.

Low miles and a southern car... nice if sludge-free.

I'd split the difference and do syn blend on a 5000 miles interval (assuming roughly 50/50 hwy/city). Service the PCV as already stated, I'd go with the OE replacement on that.

Enjoy the ride.

Just change out wherever is in there now and you don't have to worry if it is conventional or syn. Since so many recommend synthetic on these engines, I would go with that going forward.

Mobil still calls it's bulk oil 'Drive Clean', even thought they stopped using that name commercially a long time ago.

Not a bad oil at all, but as others have said, with this engine, go synthetic every 5-7k to be safe.

These are really durable engines. The sludge issue is way over-hyped.

You could use conventional or synthetic. It's up to you.

The Mobil Drive Clean oils were discontinued and in their place oils like Mobil 5000 appeared on the shelves. I don' know the exact time frame but I would guess it was over a decade ago.Drive Clean oils were conventional oils.

Of of my dad's coworkers had a 1MZ-FE destroyed by sludge. That guy used conventional oil, and had it changed every 5,000 miles because his manual told him to. People who change their conventional oil every 3000 miles don't have that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back