Direct Injection and Carbon deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fatboymoe
I did a couple of things to hopefully slow down carbon deposits, especially on the backside of the intake valves.

1. Installed a Moroso catch can in series with the PCV valve. Mounted it up front for max airflow, but not interfering with the intercooler.
2. Installed another Moroso catch can in series on the L/S breather hose, on the opposite side of the other one.

These really work, especially in the winter time. I empty them both after every fill up. It's really amazing how much oil, water and fuel you catch with these cans. The PCV side catches the most, with the breather side catching smaller amounts.

It wasn't the cheapest way to go, but has been effective. The Moroso universal catch cans were $125 each and the hoses, fittings and clamps were close to another $80. I also bought the factory PCV hose and fittings, along with the breather hose and fittings so if I had to I could just swap them out.

With really no way to keep the intake deposits from the PCV system off the intake valves, It really does the job.

I also switched from Motorcraft 5w30 Full synthetic to 0w40 Mobil 1. I don't really think that this has really anything to do with intake deposits, but it will be interesting to see the Blackstone report differences between the two.

Did you have any problems with tripping the CEL? Thanks.

Not at all. If you leave the drain valve open while the engine is running you might set a code because of the vacuum leak. I have had it on now for over a year and 14k miles. The amount of liquid being pulled out out is amazing.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: pitzel
The deposit problems mostly don't occur in Europe

It isn't a problem here. It's a perceived widespread issue do to the previous generation's application of the technology. Mostly VW, Audi and BMW.

A classic case of Internet amplification. We have to watch that as we obsess over details that many have no idea about...

+1

Originally Posted By: Fatboymoe
Not at all. If you leave the drain valve open while the engine is running you might set a code because of the vacuum leak. I have had it on now for over a year and 14k miles. The amount of liquid being pulled out out is amazing.

Thanks. I read about people installing them on the 3.0L VM diesel and having issues with tripping a CEL, and a few people having the same issue with gassers. I guess it might have been botched installations on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back