Mazda rotary powered truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, my Grandfather owned a construction company and had a whole fleet of them back in the 70's. My dad kept his for many years but eventually sold it (reluctantly) when he moved down to California in 1983.

My mom also owned a Rotary Mazda wagon in the 70's

Last edited:
Yup..in the 1970's Mazda offered 2 lines of vehicles, one with Rotary engines, the 'RX' series, and one with piston engines.

Everything could be had with a rotary or piston engine, including the trucks.

But, as the ad says, rotary trucks are very, very rare - the sport coupes (RX-2) mostly got the rotary engine.

An engine ill suited for hard working pickup duty.Hence why no RX8 pickups were made....

Dad had a rotary powered Mazda pickup in light blue, a 1974. He had no idea what the engine was underneath the hood.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
An engine ill suited for hard working pickup duty.Hence why no RX8 pickups were made....

Yes the torque is not a strong suit for the rotary... Mazda even had false claims about horsepower output at first with the RX8 that eventually got sorted out.

I remember those well. Other than a tendency to leave a blue cloud (From rotor seals that didn't) and failure due to not taking time to let it come up to temp before romping on it, those things were pretty quick, and lasted reasonably well.

I don't remember these, but I have known about them for a long time. Only because my dad mentioned looking at them when he and my mom were truck shopping in the mid 1970s. They decided on a Datsun instead because of the King Cab, which Mazda did not offer.

Cool! I'm not sure I've ever seen a Mazda p/u of that vintage. I did drive a twin rotor, mid-late 1980's RX7 a few times. A neighbor used to pay me to detail it. I wasn't even legal to drive yet. LOL. Those were the days. Anyway, they always looked freaky under the hood. Is this thing powered by Shop-Vac?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back