Who keeps track of motorcycle oil temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xr650boy
My '14 KTM Super Duke 1290 doesn't have a digital water temp readout like many bikes, but it does have an oil temp readout. I think I'd rather know the water temp, but it is interesting to watch the oil temp at times.

At highway speeds, no matter the ambient temp, the bike typically reads somewhere between 185-190 deg F. Slow city traffic will bump it up to 200-210 deg. A recent track day in 90+ ambient temps saw the oil temp climb as high as 215 or so, but no higher. And as soon as I backed off the throttle on the cool down ride into the pits, the oil temp started dropping right away. With good 10w50 Motorex synthetic, I'm not too worried at all.

The engine is a dry sump design with a very large external oil tank mounted in front of the engine, right in the airflow. It has no external oil cooler, but the radiator is quite sizable.

This is in contrast to my old Aprilia Tuono's 1000cc Rotax v-twin. Also, a dry sump design, that bike had a smaller oil tank, tucked alongside the engine and not very well exposed to airflow at all. The bike had a smaller radiator (smaller engine, makes sense), but 2 oil coolers.

Both approaches seem to work well, but I think I'd like an oil cooler on the KTM all the same.

Well, at those oil temperatures I dont think I would even bother thinking about a cooler. i suspect most liquid cooled bikes are the same. You have coolant cooling the engine. You really dont want the oil any cooler.

HD uses its engine oil to help cool things down being most are air cooled.
Ive been running a steady 200 to 240, not concerned at all. I may/most likely will install a fan on the cooler, at some point, this year or next, for any rare occasion I may get caught up in a large traffic jam, if so, I could simply flip the OEM accessory switch on and have the fan click on.
This will be a fun simple, make me feel good project. Its also possible, since I only have installed the temp gauge 2 weeks ago, as time goes on, I forget about it for a while. But the bike needs so little from me project wise, I am most likely going to do it for fun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
That's fine. Red Line's fluids generally run higher HTHS viscosity than others, at a given kinematic viscosity grade. So, do you believe in running the kinematic viscosity the factory recommends, or the HTHS viscosity they recommend?
;-)

Why bother overthinking it....it's a Harley...millions of them run on 20w50 dino....with Redline you get the added benefit of a Group V synthetic and all you have to do is take the cap off and pour it in. problem solved...problem staying solved.

I may have mentioned that my brother sees lower oil temps in his H-D by running RL's 5W30 automotive oil. Perhaps not everyone would see the exact same results from the exact same fluid, but there's a lesson in there somewhere...
;-)

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: hpb
Do the HD police-spec bikes use a fan? If not, I wouldn't worry about adding one. (As an aside, BMW R1200RT-P bikes have an oil cooler fan, the civilian versions don't).

Excellent question! Im not sure if HD police bikes have one, I bet they do.
FYI, Im not worried, Im just thinking of a small project for myself, for fun and thanks for the BMW feedback, just confirms that I think I want to add a fan as a project, I have the OEM accessory switch on the bike that does nothing, so its an easy hookup. Then, in the rare occasions I get stuck in a traffic jam etc, I can flip on the fan.

BTW, I want one of those BMWs (dont tell my wife, just got the RK! *L*) Cycle World had an AMAZING story on the BMW 1200, long term test, 10,000 miles so far. Calling it the best sport touring and touring bike in the world. Just came out. Of course with all bikes, some little hic-ups, rear brakes go in about 6,500 miles and you blow through tires.

What caught my attention is I do a lot of 2 up riding and its supposed to be great comfort for your passenger.

Cop bikes don't have fans.

I've got a jagg 10 row oil cooler on mine.

If you are looking for a fan set look up a guy named fabric8tor

I bought a set of fans from him. Matched my paint perfect. Manually switched.
They are a pair,bolt on to the horn mount and sit a few inches away from each head. They spin at 20000rpm iirc.
Look at his set first before buying anything. Because it's set up right in front of the head it cools them instantly. Lowering temps considerably.
And he gets genuine Harley colours so he can match anything.
I got one of his first sets. I forget which Harley forum he is in. Ask big CahunaI remember his screen name from the same forum I bought the fans from.
And the rear jug gets cooled eaqually.

I've seen temps over 300f when I really got on it before the fans and oil cooler. Now 180-190 is common.
My bike isn't stock though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back