2010 Rav 4 opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law is selling us his 2010 Rav 4 for about $6000.

It has 70k miles, 4 cylinder, 4wd, sport package with 18 inch wheels.

Dealer maintained, but it has had an awful lot of work for 70k miles.

He mentioned alternator, water pump, and brakes all the way around. Also it required warranty work on the 4wd system. I think something about a driveshaft or something like that.

I think its a really good deal for us, is there anything to look out for with this year and model?

We have had zero issues with the Matrix and our 2014 Rav4 (Lease).

Thanks,
JH6

Go for it! Water pump could have had the slightest weep from a gasket ad the dealer talked them into it, brakes are a wear item that dealers recommend replacing 1/2 way through the pad. A driveshaft and alternator isn't that bad. Sometimes there's just some faulty things off the line.

For that price it sounds like a real winner to me.

Awful deal, he should sell it to me instead...I'll save you from this. Just let me know what city I need to book my flight into. I could easily turn around and sell this for $12k.

Cool, we are dumping the lease to carmax this week then having the vehicle shipped from new york to texas.

I'll get some pictures up after I get it off the truck and cleaned up.

Looks like a good candidate for 0w20 Mobil 1.

It is a good deal for us, we need a cheap car to eliminate a car payment and this is one way of doing that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
2.5L? If so, I would grab it.

It got the 2.5L in 2009. I'd grab it. The RAV4 seemed to skip the 2.4 head bolt issues, but still, the 2.5 was a better motor. The 4AT will be a step back for you though, be prepared for that. But by all accounts it is a robust transmission.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Cool, we are dumping the lease to carmax this week then having the vehicle shipped from new york to texas.

It is a good deal for us, we need a cheap car to eliminate a car payment and this is one way of doing that.

I looked a low mile Vibe (Matrix) 9,200 miles before I bought my wife's Corolla, It was from NY, It already had rust & oxidation on everything! I wouldn't have gave $500 for it.

If your from the northeast & this doesn't bother you...Great!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I looked a low mile Vibe (Matrix) 9,200 miles before I bought my wife's Corolla, It was from NY, It already had rust & oxidation on everything! I wouldn't have gave $500 for it.

My Corolla and Rav4 have zero rust and I live in NJ. My Rav4 has been phenomenal. We're buying another one when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My Corolla and Rav4 have zero rust and I live in NJ. My Rav4 has been phenomenal. We're buying another one when the time comes.

Me & you most likely have different perspectives on Rust & Corrosion. Take some Undercarriage pictures of your 200,000 plus mile "rust free" Toyota, And I will take some 300,000 plus mile 2500HD Chevy pictures & compare?

Surface rust or scaly rust? I don't like either, but they are two different beasts. Surface rust can be kept in check.

Yes we are originally from NY, my father in law still lives up there.

Our Matrix has a little surface rust on the undercarriage but nothing major. Also the muffler will need to be replaced in about a year as it is getting rusty and starting to leak a little. Nothing on the body though.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Me & you most likely have different perspectives on Rust & Corrosion. Take some Undercarriage pictures of your 200,000 plus mile "rust free" Toyota, And I will take some 300,000 plus mile 2500HD Chevy pictures & compare?

I'll be under the Rav4 in a month to top off the transfer case in a month and I'll try to remember to take pictures.

My mom has an older 2007 and it sucks. Burns lots of oil, intermediate shaft still clunks, water pump has been seeping since day one, sun visors fall down in front of you, rides like [censored], loud on the highway. Toyota refuses to address TSB's even when they are printed out and shown to the dealer, they seem unable or unwilling to look them up.

Looks like new since it only has 60k on it and is garaged as a second car.

Cheap cars, a long way from a good Toyota SUV like a Landcruiser.

It's going to be traded in on a Ford SUV or a BMW SUV.

Last edited:
The 2007 has the known oil burner 2.4l engine, the 2010 has the 2.5l without major problems. '07 was the second year of the 4.3 design. While the 2010 is still a 4.3 it is the fourth year into that design and is a far better vehicle. For the price you could drive it a few years and make money selling it.

The Sport with 18" wheels has a very "stout" ride....a boulevard cruiser it is not. Other than the Sport SAP with no spare on the rear door it is the roughest riding of all the RAVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back