2010 Jeep Wrangler Powertrain Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure where people get that the 42re is unreliable. Chrysler used it starting 1993 at least with the first gen Grand Cherokee. It's old technology no doubt, but I have 170k on mine and haven't had 1 issue. The only PM I've done is 3 ATF drain and fills/ filter changes.

Guys get these, perform no PM and beat the [censored] out of their Jeeps only to blame the transmission when it fails (even if it still has the factory ATF.)
21.gif

They do have a few sensors that are prone to failure, but they are about $100-$150 for OEM and all one has to do to replace them is drop the pan.

As far as the OP's Jeep, you certainly are 1 of the few.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It should be simple enough to find out the first sale date. If worse comes to worse whoever handles vehicle titles should be able to give you that information.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Full transmission replacement on a 5 year old vehicle?

THAT is a pile of garbage...I would raise holy heck about this as loud as I could....

He's also not the original owner, the warranty may well be up, and since he's not the original owner there's no way to know what, if any maintenance was ever done or how the unit was used/abused before he took possession of it.

Still, today no auto tranny should fail that fast, even with 'hard' use...no, that is just poor engineering and unreliability on Chryslers part...along with the oil-guzzling 3.8...

Originally Posted By: benjamming
They offered to split the cost 60/40 but they're estimating $7100 total. Sounds slimy to me (but I repeat myself).

Agreed, call the manufacturer and see what they say. They shouldn't be as likely to split hairs with you versus a stealership. It's worked for me on numerous occasions. Just be nice yet firm. Plus you avoid the middle man.

The 42RLE is a POS, A derivative of the front wheel drive 41 series.

R8037048AC is the part number for your trans, Can be bought NEW for under $3000, $7100 is a hose job, Split that in half....That about what it should cost in first place.

Stealership came down to $5500. They want $375 for diagnostics. Say that transfer case & trans went out at the same time reason for high price. Sure. I guess they thought it was just their lucky day. Think again. Picked it up yesterday to get it fixed by someone not so crooked.
In-service date was January 2010 so ~ 5 months out of warranty. No help from Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Stealership came down to $5500. They want $375 for diagnostics. Say that transfer case & trans went out at the same time reason for high price. Sure. I guess they thought it was just their lucky day. Think again. Picked it up yesterday to get it fixed by someone not so crooked.
In-service date was January 2010 so ~ 5 months out of warranty. No help from Chrysler.

So it would have cost you $2750, plus the $375? I would have given them one more shot at a better price, then go elsewhere. Still going to cost more than $2K I'd think unfortunately, and that may be with a used AT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I am not sure where people get that the 42re is unreliable. Chrysler used it starting 1993 at least with the first gen Grand Cherokee. It's old technology no doubt, but I have 170k on mine and haven't had 1 issue. The only PM I've done is 3 ATF drain and fills/ filter changes.

Guys get these, perform no PM and beat the [censored] out of their Jeeps only to blame the transmission when it fails (even if it still has the factory ATF.)
21.gif

They do have a few sensors that are prone to failure, but they are about $100-$150 for OEM and all one has to do to replace them is drop the pan.

As far as the OP's Jeep, you certainly are 1 of the few.

Maintenance and cooling is key with the 42RE. They can last if the fluid is changed frequently and if a large fluid cooler is installed. Many of the Grands I see with high mileage running the original 42RE are those that had the tow package installed with the trans cooler from the factory, or one added on later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back